Steampunk "Raptor Pilot" mask #4

8 Responses to “Steampunk "Raptor Pilot" mask #4”

1. jahknow says:

I bet they’d love this down at the leather bar

Does this Bob Basset character have his own website on which he posts each new creation? He should think about it if not.

3. Chrs says:

Some people complain about the steampunk posts. Some of those, maybe they aren’t necessary, but this? This is frickin’ sweet.

4. jeligula says:

Sure Chrs, but this happens to be a re-post as it was already featured here once.

5. railroad9 says:

Never really understood complaining about posts. There’s plenty on BB to browse. Steampunk is part of the meme, just roll with it.

That’s an awesome mask and all, but I can’t think of a single pre-zombie-apocalypse use for it that isn’t disturbingly sexual…

This is one of those things where I want it, but could never see myself making enough money, ever, to justify the expense to myself.

7. greengestalt says:

Seeing stuff like this, I almost want to create a “Steampunk” world and I don’t mean some computer fantasy. Wouldn’t it be nice to, in a secluded island, a SeaStead project, a re-claimed after economic crash “Suburban Sprawl” create a “NeoRetro” community? It’d be nice to make “The future that never was”… Neat fantasy, but one I’d really make would probably be a twisted vision of new age stuff and occasional piracy…

One thing I think could be done though, is improve the “Difference Engine”. With today’s manufacturing, one could have made and mass-produced at an expensive but sane cost high precision, long lived machines. Like many, many very small brass gears and artificial jewel bearings. Imagine a calculator that’s about the size of the 60s ones, (two paperbacks, but 3 pounds) has most/all of the functions, and runs via a wind up key? Imagine a computer about the size of a washing machine that has capabilities similar to an Apple II?

This is possible. There’s a neat book I read, cover to cover, in Barnes and Noble years ago: “The Tinkertoy Computer”. An MIT professor used it to teach students that a computer, whatever medium you use, is a collection of switches defined by interpretation. He made a working difference engine with Tinkertoys and Rubber bands that played Tic-Tac-Toe and of course could win every time on the first move, since it’s an ‘imperfect’ game.

8. Mitch says:

Nice. I hope those brass things near the mouth are meant to be some kind of grille and not the cheesy steampunk gears that don’t actually do anything.