Harrogate, England: Dickens was right to call it weird!

14 Responses to “Harrogate, England: Dickens was right to call it weird!”

1. Mohsin says:

I live in Harrogate and I can see the boating lake from my window. Sadly the giant squid has left us for greener pastures.

Harrogate is indeed the strangest of places, full of cake eating people :)

2. MrWednesday says:

I live there, yep, weird.

3. tin robot says:

Damn it, I want a giant space ship sized Fat Rascal now…

As a Yorkshireman that lived near Harrogate and went out with a number of girls from there, I can say that these pictures tone things down a little – they’re a lot wierder

5. Felix Mitchell says:

Pity the typography lets it all down. I like the Harrogate town centre one. The antique herders look a bit too much like American cowboys. maybe they emmigrated.

6. Rob Beschizza says:

I grew up in Worthing, England, another strange town in England. Worthing’s weirdness is ‘weird stuff in the woods’ weird rather than ‘we built weird stuff in the childrens’ playgrounds’ weird, but hey, England! Weird!

7. Halloween Jack says:

The pictures are great; the site design fails badly.

8. nanuq says:

“The queerest place with the strangest people in it leading the oddest lives…”

Considering Darwin made his famous visit to Harrowgate a year before publishing On the Origin of Species, you do have to wonder what he found there.

Cool! I got married in 2005 in the Valley Gardens Sun Pavilion (the building illustrated behind the fountain). Sadly, the monster was not present on the day.

10. Itsumishi says:

Man that squid picture is amazing.
    Wish I could find it in a higher resolution or order a print from somewhere.

HAHAHAHAHA. Weird? secret americans? BAHAHbAH.
    Bullsht.
    I’m half american half english.
    I’ve lived 15 years in england 2 in america.
    Harrogate is my home, and i’ve been in the “golf balls” on menwith hill where my father works.
    Let me burst your bubbles. they are satalites for the military.
    We are not secret, every month there is a tour of our army base if your would like to visit=]
    any questions? i’d gladly answer.

This was weird and wonderful.