Funny kayak.com easter egg

36 Responses to “Funny kayak.com easter egg”

The hotels in Vancouver, WA are raking in the reservations for all the people trying to get to the Olympics. Poor people don’t realize that the reason it’s so cheap and easy to get these reservations is because they’ll have another 6 hour drive and an international border to cross.

For those non-Lost fans who don’t get the weird price, the numbers in the base cost of the ticket and the tax are a series of numbers that keep popping up in the show:

45, 15, 16, 23, 42.

3. manicbassman says:

I know what an “easter egg” is, I put several in win 3.1 programs I helped write years ago… I don’t see an easter egg here…

4. Plasma2002 says:

How about for us non lost fans, telling us what the easter egg is here.

5. Hamusutaa says:

Shouldn’t it technically have 1 stop?

6. Dragon2040 says:

Another interesting thing about this screenshot, it says Sydney, NS not NSW. Someone taking that flight could end up in Sydney Nova Scotia and not Australia.
    It’s amazing how many people land in Sydney and realize they are on the wrong side of the world than what they intended to be.

• apoxia says:

You’re joking right? People couldn’t possibly end up in Sydney, Australia by mistake.

I remember a Full House episode where Michelle Tanner boarded a plane to Auckland (NZ), as she thought it was Oakland. Surely that kind of thing can’t happen in real life.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Surely that kind of thing can’t happen in real life.

BBC seems to run a story about once a year about some tourist or other who ends up in the wrong country or continent because they can’t spell or can’t figure out that General Sherman didn’t burn Tbilisi.

• MelSkunk says:

One of my friends missed my wedding because he bought a ticket to Ontario, California, not Toronto, Ontario. Worst part was Ontario was a 2 hour drive away IIRC

• Jonathan Badger says:

And less spectacularly, it isn’t at all uncommon for tourists passing through Carlsbad, CA to ask “where are the caverns?”, not realizing that they are in the wrong state. But I doubt the people really were making a trip to see the caverns — they were probably just driving along and saw that Carlsbad was near and thought they’d check out the caverns they’ve vaguely heard about.

• Lookforthewoman says:

We managed to get to the Carlsbad Caverns, by mistake.
            I only knew of the bats, I didn’t know you could go down the caves, and my boyfriend didn’t know about either. So in December, on a road trip, we randomly went to look at the bat amphitheatre, wrong month. We went into the visitor centre to use the wc and heard a voice on the PA say “The last elevator to the big room leaves in 5 minutes.” Never been in a cave that big before, very cool.

• Raines Cohen says:

Truth can be stranger (or at least as strange as) fiction, indeed:

Or can it? The link it cites is a 404 on Snopes. Here’s other related incidents:

Nevermind, if it’s in Time, it must be true, right?

7. DarthVain says:

As someone from mainland Nova Scotia I can say:

Not to mention the realization that they are in Sydney, Nova Scotia! Ugh.

#1 claim to fame?

One of the biggest environmental disasters in the world. ever. The Sydney Tar Ponds, a by product of coal production.

Enjoy your say!

8. Jonathan Badger says:

I kind of agree that this isn’t really an “easter egg” — it seems more like an in-joke for Lost fans, rather than the typical “press these keys and a list of developers or a playable space invaders game appears” which I would associate more with the term.

• netsharc says:

Come on, some easter eggs are also based on special input, like Excel’s go to row something, column something and enter some word. And the payload is output which, without the egg algorithm, would never exist; in this case a fictional flight information.

I didn’t think it was possible, but this has increased my hatred of Lost and all things Lost even more.

10. kenc3dan says:

Oceanic Airlines in the fictional airline used in the series Lost.

A search for 1/21/11, one way trip, from Los Angeles to Guam, results in a listing for Ajira flight 316 as well.

12. thanatomaton says:

Ooh! I wonder if I can bring my giant case of knives if I check ‘em…

13. IPFREELY says:

Has anyone tried and purchased a ticket?

I’ll bring my guitar!

15. hordeofmonks says:

follow the link through to try to buy the ticket and it takes you to lostpedia.

16. SourRing says:

I’ll bring my guitar!

Sydney, NS, Australia….
    Are they confused with Sydney, NS (Nova Scotia) Canada? :P

18. Boba Fett Diop says:

I think the “zero stops” indicator may be slightly inaccurate. I will report this to the FAA.

19. crushthemall says:

The cost of the flight is odd because of the tax. The real cost is $4815.16 with a tax of $23.42 (which you’ll see if you click on details.)

I love it!

Don’t forget to check the details.

Speaking of Carlsbad Ca…people search for flights to LA and wonder how nearby airports comes up with Ontario CA – thinking Canada, not California

i dont get it. some one explain plox.

doesnt work tired searching but nothing comes up with the oceania flight. has anybody see it or tested it ..

24. OoerictoO says:

easter egg, or product placement?

25. manicbassman says:

sorry, I’m confused… exactly what is the “Easter egg”?

26. Jessamyn West says:

I think often times they’re both, no?