Saturday Morning Science Experiment: Beating Metal Heart

16 Responses to “Saturday Morning Science Experiment: Beating Metal Heart”

Only 141st St.? You should of at least make it to the G.Washington Bridge (178 St.)!

2. Sam says:

How long will this continue?

• Maggie Koerth-Baker says:

Dunno. Until I stop being able to come up with interesting videos or an overwhelming number of readers tell me I’ve stopped being able to come up with interesting videos.

Nothing formal.

Thoughts?

• And! says:

Assuming you’re talking about the reaction and not the feature (which, as an aspiring science teacher I absolutely love), the beating will continue until you either run out of dichromate ion in the solution or the iron nail rusts away.

What is providing the energy for this? It can’t just keep on going for ever.

My guess is that eventually the Mercury droplet will dissipate and no longer touch the Iron nail.

you can do it with water too. This was shown on TV a couple days ago on TV here in Spain but i cant find the video on youtube

I’m 56. When I was a kid we used to play with mercury a lot. It was fascinating that mercury was the only liquid metal. We’d push it around with our fingers. I recall that one of my high school teachers had a small bottle of it and we played with it on our desks at school.

Am I going to die? (I mean, of mercury poisoning!)

6. eeblet says:

I agree with the other commenters — please keep the science around! My only suggestion would be to pick images for the header that actually represent the video — I clicked the crafty looking metal heart picture, expecting a contraption with mercury inside it or something. The actual video was cool, but a bit of a let-down after that. :)

7. Sethum says:

Regarding the feature, I hope this continues for infinity+1. I love science that captures the imagination. My grade school had way too little chemistry magic. Fermo-magnetic fluids are another great area of inspiration (IMHO).

8. arkizzle / Moderator says:

Amazing to think how quickly the surface reactions are happening, to let the beating oscillate at such speed.