Pardon Me? becomes infinitely recursive internet karaoke meme, with bunnies

25 Responses to “Pardon Me? becomes infinitely recursive internet karaoke meme, with bunnies”

1. Dillenger69 says:

so, does the license fee for the song apply for each iteration displayed within a single video, or just for the surface video? I can make out separate songs at least 3 deep, possibly 4 on a good video. Does that mean the song is being played 4 times, or just once?

2. Tonky says:

mEh, not buying it – I think this one requires a deeper dig into cultural theory beyond wikipedia or an online definition.

Online Phenomena spread, get big, and die so fast – yet I think “fad” might be more apt. Meme, to me, denotes something deeper rooted and more ubiquitous (e.g. WTC attacks, we will never look at a plane the same way again)

Also, whether meme or not, Boing Boing over posts about “Steampunk” and “Homemade Super Mario Brother Quilts”

@anonymous thanks for the ted.com link I’ll check it out.

Geez, what’s with the precious treatment of the word meme? It’s not that remarkable or significant a term…

As far as I’m concerned, it’s an internet meme if it’s viewed by a considerable amount of people (Pardon Me youtube clip is up to about 150,000… Not a huge amount, sure, but still significant) and if it’s parodied or reproduced in some other form (see above video, and several other re-imaginings)…

Internet memes are probably not as socially important or life-changing as wider social trends, but come on… It’s only the internet!

In short, damn the man, save the meme… and get off your high horse!

So this is how Lost ends.

What the hell is this???

6. InsertFingerHere says:

Thank you for not making this longer.

7. Laroquod says:

It’s a good thing there is so much discussion in here about whether this is a ‘meme’, because I need to know this before I decide what I should think of it.

8. posypopart says:

Amen, Tonky–overuse of silly words like meme is just plain lazy.

9. Tonky says:

Dear Xeni et al.

I love you, but I’m concerned over your frequent use of the word “meme.”

Ever since balloon boy this summer I’ve seen many of your fellow boinger’s throw the word around when not always entirely appropriate.

Obviously language changes, but it seems a phenomenon would be considered a meme when it attains a certain ubiquity in a society’s lexicon (visual or otherwise). So overusing the term is like telling someone “I love you” on the first date or maybe its like crying wolf. :)

I would also ask you to consider boing boing’s unique position as “hub” of internet phenomenon and the potential that naming things “memes” might be a self fulfilling prophecy (e.g. Fox News and the Tea Baggers)

Just some thoughts, some clarification would be exciting to read.

-Tonky

10. joelfinch says:

A successful meme is supposed to be self-reproducing.

An unsuccessful meme is just some stuff I saw on the internet one day.

Sorry bunny.

Why thank you. I’d actually managed to forget that horrible video.

12. Anselm says:

Tonky-

According to wordnet.princeton.edu: meme (a cultural unit (an idea or value or pattern of behavior) that is passed from one person to another by non-genetic means (as by imitation)) “memes are the cultural counterpart of genes”.

In other words, somebody uses a word for something (“meme”), or has a certain mannerism (“talk to the hand” gesture), or adopts a certain style (steampunk), and other people think it’s cool and adopt it. Voila! A meme! A parcel of information that is passed on socially.

Or as somebody once told me- memes are human viruses.

So under those definitions, bOingbOing is using the exactly correctly.

13. SC_Wolf says:

I have no idea what this thread is about, so here is a bunny with a meme on its head.

14. merreborn says:

Complaining about the abuse of the word “meme” is now a meme.

15. LeFunk says:

Pardonpunk

16. Jardine says:

Leave Bunny alone!

17. Matt Deckard says:

Anselm is talking about the definition of the word “meme” where Tonky is talking about the term “internet meme” which has a slightly different connotation. I agree with Tonky’s observation – this particular video has not reached the viral critical mass necessary to merit its classification as an internet meme.

Calling it a regular (non-internet) “meme”, while technically correct, is rather pointless, since everything humans have ever created also falls under this definition.

18. Haro! says:

Dammit. Just the other day I got that awful awful song out of my head. And I was thinking “Yes! I forgot what that song from Boing Boing was!!” Now I just want it out of my head.

19. Antinous / Moderator says:

Strictly speaking, they’ve killed it by having facial expressions.