Report from TED 2010

18 Responses to “Report from TED 2010”

1. caseyd says:

Find and say Hi to Steffi Czerny for me, please. She’s from DLD, and is a lot of clever fun. She’s a connextionista.

2. Joe says:

The program is a Flash app? How lovely for anyone who’s visually handicapped, or using a mobile device (like an iPad) without Flash support.

3. Xenu says:

Moot — the guy who runs 4chan — is giving a TED talk?

WTF?

4. NickD says:

Hey Mark.
    What are you doing after TED tonight? How about a BB reader meetup in downtown Long Beach?

• Mark Frauenfelder says:

Thanks for the invite, Nik. But I am commuting back home each night. I can’t stand being away from my wife and kids!

5. swag says:

God, I hate the all-sizzle-and-no-steak format that is TED.

6. sebastian6 says:

Thank God they’re giving a celebrity chef $100,000. How else could he realize his dreams and support himself?

BIL is a free and open-invite conference coincidentally just down the street from TED.

The speaker list:

Mark, would you like to give a talk?

8. davidasposted says:

I hope Oliver’s “wish” is better imagined and executed than Karen Armstrong’s ridiculous ‘Charter for Compassion’ …

Here’s a list of TED 2010 speakers.

If only!

The braniacs at TED don’t know how to make a simple list. Instead, we get to use a flash based whack-a-mole menu to figure out who’s going to be speaking.

They’ve been doing this kind of thing for years and it is stupid and annoying, and difficult to use. Way to go!

I defy anyone to find a simple but comprehensive, TED-authored list of speakers past and present. Links would be great too, but I don’t want to make it to tough on them…

10. boing_x says:

Thank you. In the dozens of times I’ve seen people blog about TED I’ve never once seen anyone tell what it is, even in the simplest terms. It is always presented as if everyone knows what it is, which is pretty ridiculous, the majority of people have never heard of it. I’ve even searched to try and find out what it is and failed. I only figured it out vaguely through context.

That kind of thing is a clue to me that maybe it’s not something that I really need to care about. I had got in the habit of ignoring anything about TED when I happened to catch the words “TED stands for…”

bb

• Chesterfield says:

#17 – The correct site is the first result for both Google and Bing when you search for “ted”. What search engine or search terms did you use?

You might want to look over the past talks. I’d be shocked if you couldn’t find at least a few talks worth watching. Somebody else complained that the talks aren’t substantial enough. I disagree – the format makes the subject matter very accessible to people who aren’t experts in that domain.

Ha! My captcha is “braying johnson”.

11. Stefan Jones says:

Nice gig, Mark! It must be cool to attend in person.

I appreciate the digest format. I remember the posts coming fast and furious last year.

Jamie Oliver? I think you got the “smug bastard” tag one article too late…