— FEATURED —
Making sense of the confusing Supreme Court DNA patent ruling
The 'Geisters: spooky, scary novel
Ants and Stars: Bruce Sterling and Jasmina Tesanovic visit the Sardinia Radio Telescope in Italy
The Snowden Principle
ADVERTISE AT BOING BOING!
— COMICS —
Real Stuff: The Joeist Philosophy
Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Chuck D and Spectrum City
Tom the Dancing Bug
TOM THE DANCING BUG: Workin' in the Data Mine...
— GUATEMALA SPECIAL SERIES —
Guatemala: Genocide in Our Hemisphere—livestreamed event in D.C. today
Guatemala: Genocide in Our Hemisphere event D.C. May 29 with scholars, survivors; Xeni moderating
Photos: Throughout Latin America, protests demand justice for Guatemala after genocide trial overturned
— RECENTLY —
Carl Hiaasen's Bad Monkey
Atoms for Peace play a surprise intimate show in Los Angeles
Blunders of Genius: interesting errors by Darwin, Pauling, and Einstein
"By His Things Will You Know Him," a short story
Topsy Turvy World: surreal kids' picture book, now out in the USA
Hubsan X4 quadcopters: tiny cheap, powerful copter
Monsters and Legends: kids' monster book now in the USA!
Akissi: kids' comic about a mischievous girl in Cote D'Ivoire [now in the USA!]
A User's Guide to Neglectful Parenting, by Guy Delisle
Walking Dead 18: a magnificent villain who makes Hannibal Lecter look like Mr Rogers
— FOLLOW US —
Boing Boing is on Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe to our RSS feed or daily email.
— POLICIES —
Except where indicated, Boing Boing is licensed under a Creative Commons License permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution
— FONTS —
Cory Doctorow at 10:14 pm Mon, Feb 15, 2010
You had me at bacon.
Modern canned bacon sounds dreadful by comparison.
Okay so this morning I was making some Hormel bacon and I figured I’d give it a try with a slice or two. Boiled for a little less then 5 minutes, dried it off and slapped it on a hot griddle and fried it. It got crispy fast, but it was the blandest bacon I’ve ever tasted. Boiled the flavor right out of it. I think KeithIrwin was right, doesn’t really serve a purpose with modern bacon.
Glad you did it before I ever got around to it then. Hooray science!
No need to send this to Scalzi.
p(He’s already seen it) = 1
I’m thinking that yesteryear’s “war rations” are today’s generic consumer goods…
So on the foil lid it says “Boil slices in water for 5 minutes. Remove, drain, and Fry.” Why would you boil it before frying? Is that to kill any bacteria? Is this something they used to do because of different shipping methods? Just curious since I’ve only ever baked or fried my bacon. The thought of boiling the bacon first just sounds wrong. Unless it’s for the purpose of killing bacteria.
The thought of boiling the bacon first just sounds wrong.
Some cured foods benefit from pre-prep like soaking or boiling to get rid of excess salt, nitrates, etc.
Hmm. Might have to try it sometime just to see what effect it has. Thanks!
The boiling is probably to remove excesses as indicated. It probably won’t do much with modern bacon because modern bacon isn’t really cured, it’s just infused with salt water.
After Italy surrendered in WW2, they had problems with food shortages, so the US sent them surplus ratios. As a result, they had good amounts of bacon and eggs. This lead to the spreading of the recipe for pasta carbonara which had formerly just been a regional dish (and not served that commonly).
As far as I’m concerned, Bacon in a Can is a victory unto itself.
At first I thought it was a bacon version of the ice cream push up.
Just look at it.
I think the boiling is for the same reason salted meat has to be soaked.
It doesn’t seem to mention how it’s conserved, but it doesn’t look like vacuum packed so I’d guess salted or somesuch?
I doubt normal bacon would benefit from boiling though, quite the opposite even..
Soggy bacon, yuch…
Hmmm, I think it would be an interesting experiment. There’s no reason that it would be soggy. Not if you dried it off first and then fried it nice and crisp.
There are many situations in which a nice braise helps tenderize the proteins in the meat before a serious sear crisps them up. It’s probably unlikely that this would transfer to a piece of meat cut as thinly as bacon, though.
I think that there’s probably an 90% chance that this would turn out worse than frying alone, 8% chance that it wouldn’t be significantly different, and a 2% chance that it could actually be quite good. Maybe I’ll try this tonight, since no one’s at home tonight so they won’t think I’m too weird…