High School teacher creates neat presentation of the things he did in 2009

16 Responses to “High School teacher creates neat presentation of the things he did in 2009”

What font did he use?

2. netsharc says:

Glad to see that his #1 most SMS’ed person was a girl, presumably his girlfriend, so that means he’s got one – although, that’s a bit of archaic thinking isn’t it, it would be equally okay if he’s got a boyfriend instead.

Oh well, the mutterings of a girlfriend-less hetero geek. :p

3. MrsBug says:

Very cool. I’ll bet he’s a fun teacher.

4. kmoser says:

With such poor taste in beer, how can I possibly take the rest of his presentation seriously?

the man has impeccible taste in beer. Light, crisp and well made, with a little weiss thrown in. Maybe an ale would have been a good addition.

Any idea what software he used to make it? Very cool!

7. xaxa says:

That’s inspired me to update my “How much do I save by cycling to work in London?” spreadsheet, although the actual title should be something like “How much can I spend on bicycle stuff”.

Result: In 2009 I spent £130 more than the equivalent public transport would have cost, since that includes the initial cost of the (very nice) bike, but this year I expect to save over £600.

8. nanite2000 says:

Brilliant.
    Anyone know who did the music? It’s pretty funky.

9. Neverfox says:

The biggest thing I took away from this (cool) video was that he has crap taste in beer. Branch out, dude!

10. John Napsterista says:

Awesome. Teachers change lives; Mr. Meyer’s students are very, very lucky.

11. Micah says:

I assume this was inspired by Nicholas Felton’s personal annual reports (which have been featured in the past on BoingBoing.

• tenacious d says:

definitely inspired by feltron – who i adore, but i think mr. meyer actually took the idea and did something different in a good way…nice job.

12. Dean Putney says:

I liked the video, and really enjoyed the idea behind it. Some of the transitions and visualizations were a little difficult to follow though. Specifically:

- Sometimes the labels were too small or on screen for too short a time to read.
    - The travel section wasn’t immediately clear what it was showing. I thought it started in Africa. Maybe zooming in instead of out would be more clear?
    - In some places, the numbers ticking up made it hard to read the graph because the final number only appears on screen for a short time. With three numbers on the screen at the same time, all ticking up and none being the actual number, I can’t scan between several numbers to save time.

I really liked that it showed the individual people he messaged the most, and his top artists for the songs. I also liked the way he matched the graphics with the subject for each statistic.

For anyone who has had to sit through a quarterly or annual meeting, this should be the standard of judgement. Each graph has a graphic identity leading up to it, and each covers a suprisingly dense amount of info. Love it.

Really puts things in perspective…

15. pato pal ur says:

That was amazing! I love how he mentions in his blog that it was his knowledge of math made it possible to create this presentation.