Hugh from the Electronic Frontier Foundation sez, "EFF has released a white paper to help readers of digital books answer questions about privacy, book licenses, DRM and other issues."
Digital Books and Your Rights: A Checklist for Readers
1. Does it (your e-book reader/service/tool, etc.) protect your privacy?
* Does it limit the tracking of you and your reading?
* Does it protect against disclosure of your reading habits?
* Does it give you control over the information it collects about you?
* Does it tell you what it's doing with the information it collects and can you enforce its commitments to you?
2. Does it tell you what it is doing?
* How clear are the disclosures? Will they be updated and, if so, how?
* Does it let you or others investigate to confirm that the product, device or service is actually functioning as promised?
3. What happens to additions you make to books you buy, like annotations, highlights, commentary?
* Can you keep your additions?
* Can you control who has access to your additions?
4. Do you own the book or just rent or license it?
* Can you lend or resell?
* Is it locked down or do you have the freedom to move it to other readers, services or uses?
* Can the vendor take it away or edit it after you've purchased it?
This amazingly handy website pretty much holds your digital hand through the process of calling your representatives. Take five minutes, call your reps. 5 Calls
Disney today released two new clips and a new little featurette from the studio’s upcoming live action film “The Jungle Book.” I’m also loving the stunning poster art for the new film by Vincent Aseo, shown above in detail and below in full.
Evan from Fight for the Future writes, “Speaker of the House Paul Ryan is trying to use a Congressional loophole to push through two attacks on our Internet freedom in the ‘omnibus’ must-pass budget bill that Congress is expected to file tonight. He wants to include the final version of CISA which has been completely […]
Python is immensely popular in the data science world for the same reason it is in most other areas of computing—it has highly readable syntax and is suitable for anything from short scripts to massive web services. One of its most exciting, newest applications, however, is in machine learning. You can dive into this booming […]
Learning new skills is a great way to improve your resume and stand out from other candidates. Especially in a workforce in which many job-seekers have a wide variety of qualifications. With lifetime access to Virtual Training Company, you won’t have to choose a specific focus. You can pick up new expertise whenever you deem it […]
Instead of throwing out all the empties after your next party, why not transform them into some new DIY glassware? Cut back on waste and add some home ambiance with the Kinkajou Bottle Cutter and Candle Making Kit.The Kinkajou is designed as a clamp-on scoring blade to make precise cuts. Just slide a bottle in, tighten […]