Ebook checklist from EFF

6 Responses to “Ebook checklist from EFF”

1. MadRat says:

Do they list any recommendations of what to buy?

2. S2 says:

I’m so old that the concept of “book” will always be printed-pages-bound-between-covers accompanied by a certain sensuousness (appreciating the paper, typography,etc.) and utility (margin notes, flinging against the wall when angry, etc. ;-) eBook readers just cross my radar as another gadget in the gizmosphere….

So I think TFA’s author missed my demographic up in the Introduction; I would add four words to make it relevant: “The over-arching question: are digital books as good or better than physical books at protecting you and your rights as a reader [at the price charged]?

At a buck a pop I’d be willing to trade utility and user experience for some restrictions; at hardcover prices I’m gonna be much more picky. P’bly a slippery-slope attitude for going into the future, but the (to me) nonessential role of eBooks makes them a being-qua-value question rather than being-qua-being.

3. avt_tor says:

When there are good answers for these questions, I’ll be a paying customer.

4. ratcity says:

A lot of great stuff in there. Still some ugly holes though.

What does DRM-free right of first sale mean? What is the digital version of a used bookstore?

I personally can’t see how it could work.

I buy DRM-free music because DRM sucks, so if we’re picking sides don’t throw me to the wolves. I do not however have any expectation that I can sell the mp3s I bought from amazon or emusic.

How would that work?

Are there answers to the questions for each eBook Reader out there? A chart indicating which eBook Readers do what would be extremely helpful.

Some interesting stuff there. But its also symptomatic of some ebook readers that they can make an 18-page list of demands. Is there and absolute entitlement for everyone for every new technology? I don’t mind paying for ebooks and generally would like to see DRM fade away entirely. But I have some appreciation for the costs of creating and growing a market, so I have some patience.