Minimalist posters for TV shows

25 Responses to “Minimalist posters for TV shows”

1. rrh says:

I guess it depends on what you decide the target audience for the art is. If you were trying to to interest people who haven’t yet watched the show, most of them fail. Especially because minimizing everything removes the ability to use genre signifiers, like lighting and texture to help distinguish the comedies from dramas, from adventure, etc.

If it’s supposed to make people who have already watched the show feel clever for getting the reference, then they mostly work.

• arkizzle / Moderator says:

How about, just as an exercise in abstraction?

• rrh says:

An exercise in minimalism needs a goal. It’s asking the question, “What’s the most minimal this item can be and still achieve X?” I was just speculating for different values of X.

Since there is more than one person confused about it, I think I should add that the Simpson’s poster is in reference to Homer’s “M” hair, not Bart’s.

A Charlie Brown logo would have a very thick black line; would form a W, not an M (or even WW); and would have a bit more red in the background. I would say the background for the Simpsons poster is a bit too bright, it should be duller or browner, the cartoon skin color is distinctive. The M was featured in one of The Simpsons redux shows — allegedly M is for Matt, as in Groening, and Homer’s ear nearly makes a G, to finish it off.

Anyway some of those posters are a hoot! I liked Charlie’s Angels, that took a sec.

The Wire and 30 Rock are fantastic. Wish I could justify spending a hundred bucks or so on a poster.

Really cool ones! Great job :)
    I also tried to create a bunch of minimalistic alternative movie posters: http://stuff24.de/blog/10-minimalistic-alternative-movie-poster/

Feel free to comment!

6. dancentury says:

I thought Peanuts too. Reminds my brain of Charlie Browns shirt.

Here’s a site of a German artist who did minimalist Tarantino movie posters. The Kill Bills are my faves.

8. angusm says:

I’m glad they had some text to explain that the one on the left is “The Simpsons”. I would have guessed “Twin Peaks”.

9. rrh says:

I would have thought “Peanuts.”

• Winston-Smith says:

“I would have thought “Peanuts.”

LOL! That was my first thought as well. The second one made me think of “The Office.”

10. fartle says:

shoul;d have used 11 spikes for simspo ns. i like the choice of house’s ball

11. Matt Deckard says:

I’ve been very underwhelmed by some of these minimalist collections I’ve seen blogged here, but this one was awesome.

12. Itsumishi says:

Never would have got the simpsons one. If had been 9 or points it would have been good. This just looks like an M.

I would have gone with a simple 3 fingered 1 thumbed hand.

The skins one is stupid. The union jack because the show is English and set in England. Pink and yellow because it’s trendy and hip? Why don’t nearly all the other ones consist of variations of the stars and stripes?

The Dexter, night rider and McGuyver ones are great. The sopranos one is quite clever too.

13. @ boingboing
    thank you for posting my work on your blog.
    it’s an honor.

@ everyone
    thank you for the (more or less) overall positive response.

@ the posters in general
    how do you filter down a split second of a five season tv show like i.e. the wire to make a relevant statement about the complexity, conflict and social tragedy? its completely impossible – its naive to think you can. so the posters are my personal point of view. nothing more, nothing less. but please feel free to do it better … much better … make it wonderful

@ simpsons poster
    from wikipedia: when groening originally designed homer, he put his initials into the character’s hairline and ear: the hairline resembled an ‘M’, and the right ear resembled a ‘G’. groening decided that this would be too distracting though, and redesigned the ear to look normal.

@ simular designs
    it seems that there are several simular projects out there, mainly on the theme of movies, music and games. you can find some of them here:
    i personally like the posters designed by brandon schaefer and darren firth.

all the best,
    albert exergian

14. DaveP says:

i salute his inventive spirit, but these are mostly awful.

15. efergus3 says:

The MacGyver one is great.

16. Trent Hawkins says:

A lot of those are hard to decipher. The point of all these minimalistic approaches should tell the viewer what he needs to know about the show with the lease amount of visual data, not make him have to guess what it is he’s suppose to be looking at.

I doubt anyone would ever be able to guess half of those posters.

• Matt Deckard says:

The only one that was a show that I’ve watched that took me a while was the Sopranos one. It’s a birdseye view of the table outside of Satriani’s where a great deal of scenes take place.

I think the point of them is to represent something very iconic from the show in a clever and minimalist way, and I think most of these ones do a very good job of that. All of the ones I didn’t get were from shows I’ve never watched.

17. Jim McD says:

Great find. Loved it.

18. Spencer Cross says:

I like these, but I think the “minimalist redesigns of X” meme is getting frighteningly close to jumping the shark.

Wow, I instantly thought “peanuts” too.

20. Hagrid says:

Would someone kindly explain the Mad Men illustration to me? I watch the show regularly, and have no idea what this minimalist illustration is supposed to represent.

mad men poster features a glass with scotch.