Energy-recycling artificial foot

14 Responses to “Energy-recycling artificial foot”

1. Ted8305 says:

That foot assumes a heel-pounding gait. Would it even work for people who walk “normally” ?

I would really like to know where I can get one of these. Congenital club foot, Misses Dancing way too much….

3. nixiebunny says:

The standard-issue FlexFoot that’s worn by all active amputees achieves this springiness with a carbon fiber leaf spring. It’s quite effective, and has no moving parts or microprocessors to fail.

As to #3′s concern, if your ankle was rigid, you’d have a heel-pounding gait. My sweetheart’s left shoe (the one with the FlexFoot in it) gets worn quite a bit on the back of the heel, while the right shoe doesn’t.

The only problem most of us have with this is the standard health-care problem – it will cost as much as space flight equipment, since cost is of little concern in advanced prosthetics.

4. RedShirt77 says:

A while back after looking at some bike design I thought how cool it would be if a bike could store breaking energy mechanically and release it to give you a boost after restarting from a dead stop. Anybody want to help me design one?

On this thing, it does seem to require a particular gate for it to work, which actually isn’ the end of the world if you don’t have knee joints to protect from heel strike impacts. might be a bit odd for those with one original leg and one replacement.

I think the advantage over the flex foot is that you can get the energy savings over a wide range of gait speeds. True, it will have electronics, but it seems amazingly simple to me compared to motorized prosthetics.

6. MrsBug says:

Okay, I’m going to be juvenile about this: woohoo, Michigan reprezent! ;)

It should be muvh smaller!

Insert obligatory Six Million Dollar Man quote here.

9. lysdexia says:

Is it wrong that the first thing I thought was: “I wonder what Aimee Mullen will wear with this”?

the first thing I thought was “I want some metal legs!”

11. djn says: