Indie gaming hit Darwinia+ invades Xbox Live

18 Responses to “Indie gaming hit Darwinia+ invades Xbox Live”

Unfortunately Darwinia has been overrun by a computer virus which has multiplied out of control. Here is the complete guide for Darwinia + Walkthrough & Tips:

2. Church says:

Loved this one. Thanks for reminding me of it.

3. dhalgren says:

Well I don’t know about any game called Darwinia but the novel DARWINIA by Robert Charles Wilson is down right awesome! Published in 1998 – having never played the game and reading what the game is about – they have nothing to do with each other.

READ DARWINIA by Robert Charles Wilson. Burn your computer. I’m burning mine tonight at midnight.

4. RedShirt77 says:

Does anyone have the link to the zombie webgame bb featured last summer.

It was a great and addictive little game that should really be ont eh games to get list. I had a craving and can’t find the link.

Also, I got darwinia. Fun gameplay, other than the tendancy to blow yourself up.

I just can’t figure out how you would ever lose.

5. Matthew_H says:

“…ensuing two year long uphill battle with Microsoft…
    …tweaks they’ve been forced to adopt along the way to meet Microsoft’s approval…”

Your article has a detectable editorial tone, Brandon. I do feel similarly towards Microsoft as you do, but I pride myself in attempting to be objective with my scorn, and I feel obligated to note that the tyranny you imply wasn’t there. Introversion guys were very vocal at every opportunity in pointing out how the only pressure from Microsoft was to publish the best possible game, and MS was relentless in pushing the team to the height of quality. Introversion started off not taking the port at all seriously, but extensive QA and massive improvements of what was by all accounts a very bad original interface (because the game was originally just a straight port) took a very long time, and resulted in an excellent experience. It’s not just PR talk either; the team published on their site a bunch of papers documenting their work with Microsoft.

6. Corri22 says:

Wanted to point out that these guys are also well known to free software denizens, since they’ve supported Linux from day one.. respect to the developers who recognise that there is a market out there for commercial Linux games and put in an effort to help expand and sustain it.

Get the complete tutorial with good explanation of the game on http://www.techarena.in/guide/32599-darwinia-walkthrough-tips.htm. This should help out.

8. teufelsdroch says:

I’m glad several people have mentioned Uplink, the Introversion game prior to Darwinia (which also anticipates Alternate Reality Gaming).

Uplink is kinda like playing ‘The Beast’ with virtual Cloudmakers, but it’s still cool for that.

9. erzatsen says:

isn’t this a game by Ambrosia?

• smithzoo says:

Ambrosia Software has done the Mac ports of Introversion’s Uplink, Darwinia and Multiwinia.

• Anonymous says:

To be clear, Introversion developed the game, but Ambrosia published the Mac port. I think they might have been involved in coding the port, too, but the game design and content were all Introversion.

@Erzatsen No, its by Introversion, same as Uplink And Defcon and a few others in the “Games you may like section” on that website.

11. hinten says:

Look, I can appreciate the constant hating on big, bad enterprises and how the poor and virgin underdog independent game developers are fighting the good fight a la Goliath.
    WHat I don’t understand are the constant swipes and, quite frankly, childish remarks against Xbox here. Especially since the goal of all these developers seems to be to get their warez on this platform.
    What is it? the most hated company ever or the platform that every independent developer wants to be on?

• Matt Sanderson says:

Microsoft is notorious for meddling with XBLA developers and screwing the “little guys” with only small cuts of the profits. Any criticism of them is more than justified. That said, Microsoft has the most popular online console gaming service, and one of the top digital distribution platforms in gaming. So, yes: It is both hated and coveted.

• Scurra says:

I think it’s because the platform is controlled by someone – it’s pretty much the same reason why people are down on the iPad.

If you control the distribution platform, then you have the power. Why else have the music companies been going berserk over downloading, or the publishers over the Kindle? Because they are losing their control over the distribution platform (in one case to a wider world, in the other to a narrower one.)

If Microsoft or Apple are the only people able to “approve” your product, then that means that someone somewhere (and perhaps an unknown someone) is making a decision, rather than the market.

p.s. Glad to see the love for Uplink. Still one of the greatest games I have ever played.

I believe the phrase is “shot across the bow”.

And I disapprove of this article solely based on the fact that you neglected to mention Uplink, which I think is one of the most interested and innovative games I’ve ever played.