Mickey Mouse Disco video

14 Responses to “Mickey Mouse Disco video”

1. Omir the Storyteller says:

I used to get a kick out of the DTv videos the old, old, old Disney Channel ran way back when, maybe three reboots aqo, with songs like They Might Be Giants’ version of “Istanbul (Not Constantinople)” accompanying clips strung together from old Disney cartoons. I wish they’d do more of that these days (and bring back Vault Disney) instead of endless reruns of teen sitcoms.

They did some of that with their singalong videos too; in between songs lifted wholesale from full-length movies they’d do DTv-style clips to songs like “The Codfish Ball.”

2. chaircrusher says:

I think I have 3 or 4 copies of this picked up at the Goodwill. I guess it’s ephemeral enough to command big bucks on Amazon, but you’re wasting your money.

I used to drop tracks from this in Techno DJ sets as a laugh and people would throw things.

Prince Paul sampled a break from this LP for “3 Ft High and Rising” so it does have that going for it.

3. BarbieHead says:

This track isn’t nearly as good as “Watch out for Goofy.” (I hear he’s a disco demolition!)

4. monkey_pirate says:

God. I hated that album as a kid. I was born in ’77 and have very early memories of that damn record being played for me when I didn’t want to hear it. It’s possible that my parents thought it was a “better” babysitter than the tv or something.

I will NOT seek this out for nostalgic purposes.

• Lester says:

I had this as well (born in ’74).

The album is a train wreck — wonderfully so, considering tunes like “Macho Duck” and “Welcome to Rio — and needs to be heard to be believed. I bought it on iTunes not along ago for the standard fee.

Amazing how tone deaf to popular culture Disney was at the time, resting on its laurels and pimping Mickey out to any passing fad. I’d argue that, if anything, it is now on the leading edge of popular (kid) culture.

Wow, I think I still have my cassett and book for this somewhere. Think I paid $5 for it at Toys R Us about 25 years ago. Ought to see about selling it.

6. License Farm says:

Yup, I had this & SESAME STREET FEVER, too. In fact, I believe I still have them both, though I doubt I’ve listened to either in well over a decade. I’d aver there’s some fantastic mashup fodder to be found in both.

I remember listening to “Macho Duck” on this album when I was about 5. I loved it back then, but there’s no accounting for taste when dealing with 5 year-olds.

8. jáquer says:

Awww.. pulled by “The Web Sheriff”, the same one ridiculed by The Pirate Bay.

9. chrisbachmann says:

Not as awesome as Sesame Street Fever.

Sesame Street happy days! We’ve got the fever too!

10. Robojim says:

The music is pretty cheesy, but seeing the clips of old Mickey animations is wonderful. There is so much magic in that animation, that loose, flowing, silly, CARTOONY beauty that is really missing in cartoons these days. Oh man, now they would totally use computers to do all of those scenes with the deck of cards.

11. celynnen says:

it’s on i-tunes? sweet! My sisters and I must’ve listed to this album (the 45, natch) a million times over. I could probably still sing all the lines, word perfect.

12. Day Vexx says:

I’ve got this one– as well as Sesame Street Fever, and a handful of other terrible kids disco records. They’re all awful, but irresistibly cheesy fun. Still, I can’t imagine wanting to pay $200 for one!

13. Mikey says:

I never had this album but I remember the commercials vividly. They were almost as good as the Freedom Rock ads.