Funky Friday: Springtime in Bollywood (Holi He!)

22 Responses to “Funky Friday: Springtime in Bollywood (Holi He!)”

I am in India right now, where Holi celebrations have started in some places (the kick start of it actually happens at Shivratri, Shiva and Parvati’s wedding, that happens two weeks before Holi).

This is my last Holi before i go back to my country after two years in India, so I will participate my ass off, but people here are not that enthusiastic about Holi. Most women are told not to go out, because the effects of Bhang on men make it not that safe for girls. They’re scared of being touched everywhere or molested… I saw it happening two weeks ago in Varanasi, where about 100 teenagers full of Bhang lassi started touching an american tourist in Saree that was passing by in front of them, on the ghats. The police, who is used to this, was there in 2 minutes.

That’s why Holi seems to evolve more and more in private pool parties for the rich boys and girls and man-only happy fights in the streets for the not so rich. As for myself, I shall try to attend both.

2. gusandrews says:

I’m always impressed by Indian movies’ inventive use of non-human objects in dance scenes — veils, sand (desert scenes), trains, etc. Not only is the powder fun here and used in a wide number of ways, but did you notice how the choreographer seems to have planned for the female lead’s incredibly long braid?! So cool!

• Anonymous says:

That actress is Rekha and she really had long hairs. No credits to choreographer for that. It was fashionable to have long braid in those days.

Some of my awesome Indian friends here in Los Angeles do a bang-up Holi every year — the colors from Little India in Artesia, the location varying, but always somewhere washable. They make a huge batch of bhang (essentially marijuana-seasoned almond milk), and then we run around like fools getting our Jackson Pollock on. We eat a variety of portable Indian snacks (panipoori or whatever anybody comes up with) and generally re-enact the scene from Sholay. It’s a most life-affirming occasion.

4. feuilletoniste says:

As far as Holi-themed dance sequences go, I’ve always been partial to this one from Mohabbatein…

5. TuesdayWeld says:

My 62-year-old mother has her first chance to go to a traditional Indian wedding (the daughter of a colleague is marrying); I told her about the music and dancing and (not to be un-PC) she said, “Oh yes, I can’t wait to get out and shake my sari ass!”

I can’t wait to hear the stories.

It should be “Holi Hai” and not “Holi He”. “Hai” would sound like vowel in hash or gas.

Happy Holi to you all. :)

Here’s a fun Holi scene from “Outsourced”

Anyone else find the random milk chug at 2:45 especially strange?

9. seancinneide says:

Xeni, you linked to the wrong myspace profile. Here’s Carl’s:

10. turquoisekid says:

here’s my blog (i dont get onto myspace much lately) http://turquoisekid.blogspot.com
    THANKS for the cool post XENI! happy Holi!

This is a classic holi song and is quite scandalous because the actors Amitabh and Rekha were having a secret affair while Amitabh was married to the other actress, Jaya and all 3 appear in this vid which shows pretty much the same thing.
    Married guy gets drunk on bhang and flirts with his now married ex. And the other two spouses look on sadly.

The other Bollywood poster is from the equally famous Holi song from “Sholay ” . Happy villagers enjoying holi get attacked by dacoits and there is a massacre as the song ends!!

12. turquoisekid says:

lol milk on a hot day, and the expression amitabh makes as he drinks it.. definitely a bit strange.. but that’s no ordinary milk folks… ; )

13. unmadindu says:

Bhang can have very odd effects on you. I remember trying to put on my trousers for an hour or so after I had it for the first time. The whole process was so complicated – bending the body, bending the knees, lining up the leg while trying to balance myself, etc etc :-).

The Holi celebration at Carnegie Mellon university is one of the most amazingly weird thing I remember from my undergrad years. I literally had friends who warned each other not to go out that morning, unless they wanted to get painted.

15. Anuragg says:

Make Holi more sweeter by preparing sweet dishes at home. Learn to make the most popular Gunjia at home.