Duluth: Forget Topeka, we will offer Google our first-born children

20 Responses to “Duluth: Forget Topeka, we will offer Google our first-born children”

1. nonie says:

Wow, thanks for featuring my hometown on boingboing dere. I wouldn’t have heard otherwise that I’m supposed to be Googlette Fiber Nelson now.

2. bklynchris says:

harold-I think the “bear” is Jason Jones from the Daily SHow, anyone else? And yeah, that was a pretty unusual Northern Minnesotan accent, jackie. Duluth doesn’t need no stinking Google donchya know, when we have the wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald, and the really cool Paul Bunyon statue. And don’t know why I’m sayin’ we as I was from St. Paul.

3. ian71 says:

Duluth? Duluth??? DULUTH IS ON FIRE!!

4. Boba Fett Diop says:

Let me add to Taskbot’s request: if Google brings fiber optic to anywhere in western Toronto, we will give them the firstborn of both Topeka, Kansas and Duluth, Minnesota. The actual firstborn.

I’m sure Google has a giant gold statue of Baal lying around somewhere…

5. 2k says:

by the way; you would have to be a dick to think we were being dicks.
    We are NOT being dicks.
    It’s a joke.
    Look it up. ‘Joke’.
    We are Joking.
    Don’t be a dick.

6. alexanderwales says:

Minnesota is far too nice; hence the double apologies.

7. harold says:

love it. and who’s the bear?!

8. jackie31337 says:

What an interesting accent. It sounds like sort of a cross between a northern Irish accent and a Swedish accent.

• Anonymous says:

Jackie: It’s a bit of a put-on, but that’s about right, with the Swedish/Finnish portion being predominant. The Irish whiff you’re getting is actually Western Canadian (Eh?), which has a bit of Scots and maybe a hint of Oirish mixed in; Duluth’s only a couple of highway hours from the Ontario border.

Variants of that accent used to be very common in the Upper Midwest, but nobody under the age of 90 sounds like that nowadays unless they’re doing so for effect; most of us now sound like the real mayor in the video.

Here’s another version (sadly, also fake) of that accent, from an old local Minnesotan (Twin Cities, not Duluth) kids’ show from the 1950s, “Axel and His Dog”: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fT95UBp22A

9. 0_x_0 says:

Hail the Northland!
    DoublePlusDuluthGigaFiber!

10. _OM_ says:

…Ah, the insanity that the yankee midwest inbreeds and reproduces. It actually makes me miss the days whe Google was just a brand of flavored peanut butter.

man. I lived in Duluth for several years. I am embarrased.

Topeka just got pwned.

Topeka is not the first to rename their city. Let’s not forget about half.com http://www.buzzmarketing.com/halfway_oregon.html. We have pride in our city, Asheville.

@h0zae
    Google Asheville
    googleavl.com

14. benher says:

Gotta have dat true-coat on dat fiber der!

15. Taskbot says:

Let the pandering race begin. My bet is that the next city offers the left nut of every male citizen.

I only wish that Google would come north of the border and help out us Canadians. I would certainly give my left nut for a reliable internet connection without all the bullshit caps and throttling that plagues Canadian ISPs.

• Anonymous says:

I’m sure Google will have uses for them for one of their secret projects.

• abstract_reg says:

All of Canada will get “I love Google” tatooed to their foreheads, AND their genitalia if Google would only bring Canadian towns and cities into the experiment.

• David Carroll says:

Oh, I think we all know that Canadians can suck just as hard as anyone from sconnie nation.

Personally I like the bullshit caps and throttling. Otherwise I would never get any fresh air.

Big fat ;) eh?

Aw yeah! Topeka VS Duluth! Fight!