Amy Rigby, "Balls" (Greatest Song of All Time of the Day)

12 Responses to “Amy Rigby, "Balls" (Greatest Song of All Time of the Day)”

1. edgar_rhode says:

this woman is LONG overdue for some wider recognition. kick ass honest lyrics about a strong smart woman trying to make it in the modern world. i’ve heard her described as the female “john hyatt”. thats fair praise but she stands on her own in so may ways. i keep trying to catch her in concert but so far no luck. amy – get yer buns over to detroit or ann arbor. and keep writing and singing.

Here’s a weird coincidence – this is the second artist recommendation I’ve plugged into eMusic today. The first was Alice Russell – both female artists with the initials A.R.

What are the chances?

3. Maddy says:

That guitar opening reminds me of Good Guys and Bad Guys by Camper Van Beethoven …

Wow — I was childhood friends with her daughter, Hazel. Never expected her to show up on Boing Boing.

5. Cochituate says:

There’s a cover of another Amy Rigby song called ‘Are Ever Gonna’ that is just fabulous. Anyone whose kids are getting older but you haven’t been able to “schedule” with your spouse will love this song.

6. mikeselectricstuff says:

Also check out her brilliant “keep it to yourself”

I have all of Amy’s work. She’s brilliantly talented!

8. thatsnotmyname says:

loving the music rec’s…keep ‘em coming!

9. PeaceLove says:

“Dancing with Joey Ramone” is another killer Amy Rigby track. The original is better — more punk and Ramone-esque — but this live version is fun: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaSTqCU0keI

10. fbrusca says:

This is the first time I heard of or seen Amy Rigby. Nice stuff. Reminds me Loudon Wainwright III. Eager to hear more.

I came in here to say that this is a great song, and I’ve loved it since I first heard it. I have the “18 Again” version with the slide guitar and the rocking out. Love, love, love this song. Definitely fork over the 99 cents for the “official” version.

12. rsk says:

I highly recommend her “20 Questions” from “Diary of a Mod Housewife”, which is probably the first song of hers I’d heard. It’s hysterical.