Collect whale snot using a remote control helicopter

20 Responses to “Collect whale snot using a remote control helicopter”

1. absimiliard says:

Wow, awesomely cool hack.

-abs is almost always impressed when people use technology in cool and novel ways

The cost of an RC helicopter like the one in the picture most definitely pushes it out of the “toy” category. Now add to the fact that is going to be covered in salt water on regular basis and you are talking real money. It also takes a fair amount of skill to fly an RC helicopter like that, as in many many hours of practice so they will probably be hiring someone to fly it.

I want this job. Maybe just so that I can decide what it would say on my business cards. I’m having trouble deciding between “Unmanned Aerial Cetacean Mucosal Collector Operator” or “Whale Snot Drone Pilot.”

4. Samuelito says:

Mega Shark won’t have to jump very high for this tasty snack.

5. Teresa Nielsen Hayden says:

As if I’d collect fresh whale snot any other way.

6. Antinous / Moderator says:

The up side about being a whale snot collector is that you rarely get into bidding wars.

7. ab3a says:

Many years ago, after I graduate from college, I took an extended sea-kayaking trip in British Columbia. We made an ocean crossing one morning in what had to be seven foot swells. Several of us got sea-sick. However, we later relaxed a calm, deep harbor where we expected to see whales.

Sure enough the whales surfaced, blew, and submerged. Our guide assured us that the whales knew we were there and they’d surface around 20′ away. This went on for half an hour or more and it seemed quite true that they knew where we were. However, a small whale (perhaps an early adolescent in size?) surfaced only five feet from one of our number. It blew. Upwind.

The poor guy in that kayak couldn’t take it. He lost his breakfast right there.

Ladies and Gentlemen, if you had a life of diving real deep, eating small disgusting fish, and then holding it in for about 30 minutes or more, your breath would smell pretty bad too. And this whale was no exception. Whale breath STINKS.

Stay upwind if you can.

(Calling Mike Rowe, uhhh, I have a dirty job for you…)

8. Marcel says:

Why do scientists want to study whale diseases?

If they’re so concerned about the wellbeing of the species, I can name one common cause of death which could be adressed to more easily.

The japanese.

• Anonymous says:

Maybe because that’s what scientists do? Scientists don’t generally spend time enforcing international treaties. Whales sometimes die of things other than Japenese harpoons.

• Mark Frauenfelder says:

Why do Marcels want to read Boing Boing instead of stopping the Japanese from killing whales?

• Marcel says:

Yes, you’re right Mark. Thought about it. My comment made no sense whatsoever.

In fact, it was a crappy thing to do.

Sorry.

That’s why the Japanese [strike]whalers[/strike] scientists are actually very considerate when trying to save the hippies from the terrible whale flu.

10. Terry says:

You know, just this morning I said to myself: “Self? How on earth are we going to collect whale snot?”

11. holtt says:

I think this should be turned into some kind of game. Call it, “Ender’s Snot Game” or something.

12. PTBartman says:

And I thought collecting baseball cards was fun.

13. littlebone says:

Reminds me of something a friend of mine always used to say: “That’s slicker than whale snot on a glass doorknob.”

This was featured on the BBC’s “Oceans” series back in 2008! They went out and tried it in the Sea of Cortez and successfully obtained samples from Sperm whales. Great series btw, worth getting on DVD.

15. Avram / Moderator says:

Wouldn’t it be great to travel back in time and talk to old ’50s SF writers about this?

“Flying cars and moon colonies? Nah, we don’t have any of that. But we collect whale snot using remote-controlled helicopters!”

16. Felton says:

Venkman: Someone blows their nose and you want to keep it?