How blind people ski

11 Responses to “How blind people ski”

1. ambiguous says:

There’s some stuff on the visually impaired biathlon here:

Made my day when I heard about this event.

2. pencilbox says:

In the states, the national sports center for the disabled is in Winter Park, CO. Lots and lots of adaptive skiers there- one of the reasons it’s so fun to ride there. http://snip.li/aa6da

As Polly-Anna as this may sound, and as a very amateur skier, I have to say that’s f-ing amazing. I had no idea that there was even a category for blind skiers. Makes my personal triumphs seem lame in comparison.

4. Sheepshank says:

Wouldn’t it be easier to substitute their labrador for a husky and just get pulled down the slope.

• Jerril says:

I can’t tell if you’re joking. Under the assumption that you’re serious, no.

1) You can’t ‘substitute’ a seeing-eye dog. The dog has to be trained for a year, and the dog and owner have to be trained together after being paired up and work as a team.

2) A regular skiier goes at 60km an hour downhill or more. He’d be dragging the dog, not the other way around.

3) You can’t use a lead to direct someone for downhill skiing anyways. When the leader makes a turn, and the follower is 10′ behind, the follower CAN’T TURN YET – turning too soon (or too late) is potentially catastrophic. You can use a teather with a small child learning to ski, but in that case, the child goes first, and the adult acts as a 180-lb dead weight to slow the child down to controllable speeds. It’s completely different.

5. beecaper says:

I read a great book about a blind man who skied. The major issue in the book was his thought process in deciding whether to go through with a surgery to help him see again. One of the best books I’ve read. ‘Crashing Through’ by Robert Kurson

6. Brainspore says:

I once was lost, but now am found… was blind but now I ski.

7. valdis says:

I was going to make a comment about the wisdom of a visually impaired biathlon, till I realized that they’re probably more accurate shots than your average redneck full of ‘shine, and we let *them* have firearms. ;)

(And I know of what I speak – the moonshine capitol of the US is 2 counties over from here…)

8. madflojo says:

Heh.. Odd timing as a I made this video on How to guide a blind hiker last weekend

From my phone and not super great quality, and not planned…

In all seriousness though, we were part of a group who set a world record for the most blind hikers to reach the summit of Mt. Kilimanjaro in June 2009.

Good quality video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZvBe9Z00LU

9. ambiguous says:

I live in Whistler so I see blind skiers, one legged skiers, and sit-skiers all the time. Great stuff, I love it. The adaptive sports program (WASP) is quite popular up here. The really cool thing to me is the visually impaired biathlon: there’s a guide for the skiing part and some sort of sound-based set up for the shooting part.

A bunch of guys hauled a sit-skier up Spanky’s Ladder earlier this year. Spanky’s is a steep climb that leads to some crazy double and triple black terrain. I was pretty impressed that a sit-skier was doing that terrain.

In the summer I see one legged mountain bikers around town and paraplegic quad-cyclers in the downhill bike park. I don’t know about visually impaired mountain bikers though, I haven’t seen any.