Beautiful old typewriters in photos

9 Responses to “Beautiful old typewriters in photos”

1. Martin Howard says:

I have been collecting these remarkable early typewriters for twenty years now and always love to hear other peoples enthusiasm towards them.

There is a remarkable collective experience that we have towards typing and a strong nostalgia for the typewriter, as a physical and emotional symbol of writing.

When my exhibit was on at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) (2007), I often saw young children leading their parents to the display cases to look at the typewriters with them. This was one of the highlights for me during the exhibit run.
    These early typewriters speak to just about everyone.

Please visit my website to see some of these extraordinary typing machines.
    You will be surprised.

Happy typing,
    Martin Howard

2. charlesrichter says:

I can boggle the phrase “awful censor” in that top photo. Would be nice to think that some typewriter designer was making a statement there.

• dculberson says:

I found “Gluten Mysor.” They either predicted gluten allergies or else really liked south Indian cuisine. (and were bad spellers in either case.)

3. lysdexia says:

Did anyone else read the maker’s mark on the bottom one “American Ansible” the first time?

4. technogeek says:

There’s a typewriter repair shop a few blocks from me, with some interesting old designs displayed in the window. Makes me regret that I no longer have my father’s old “reporter’s” typewriter.

5. Chris S says:

I saw some of this collection at the Royal Ontario Museum in 2009. The mechanical detail is amazing – it is unfortunate that it can’t really show up in just a few photos. The complexity puts many modern steampunk projects to shame.

In the same vein, people could check you MZTV, Moses Znaimer’s televion museum, at http://www.mztv.com/ . I saw this one at the ROM as well, back in 1996.

6. Pantograph says:

Word of warning:

I read the keys on the top picture out loud and the demon Dhiat Ensor materialized in front of me. His cap was full of figs.

7. JamesMason says:

There is a huge collection of antique typewriters at the Leonardi da Vinci museum in Milan. I toured it with my boys and they enjoyed it. Actually, that museum is just chock-filled with all kinds of cool stuff, and you don’t need to speak or understand Italian to get it. Physics pretty much transcends any language barrier…