There is a lucrative science that undergirds No Child Left known in academic circles as: Making Things Up. It makes up that a standardized test is actually designed to measure "proficiency" or whether a school is actually failing or succeeding in making "adequate progress".The Science of Making Up Stuff (Thanks, Kevin!)
America's most dedicated educators have been praying mightily for an end to the hell of false labels and the testing tail wagging the dog-and-pony show that now passes as teaching and learning in schools where administrators are forced to bundle toxic testing strategies worthy of Lehman Brothers in their efforts to be accountable-not to the kids, but to hitting their numbers.
Good Teachers know the difference. We have continued to teach in spite of No Child Left.
(Image: No Child Left Behind, a Creative Commons Attribution photo from aflcio's photostream)
- No Child LEFT BEHIND: notional novel about Bush's apocalyptic ...
- Homework sucks: The case against homework
- US military data-mines America's kids for war recruiting
- Public elementary schools that integrate dance, music, and art ...
- Just a theory: Modern culture destroying science education - Boing ...
I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.