YouDunnit: a game that travels backwards in time

11 Responses to “YouDunnit: a game that travels backwards in time”

1. bex says:

this game explains why you don’t talk to the cops,

2. Sal Paradise says:

Can’t I go back in time and kill the detective?

There was a shortish interactive fiction game written for the IFComp several years ago which played with a similar idea – there was a time machine which you could use to jump around in time a bit, but you had to ensure that you never generated any observable paradoxes for your past self, like leaving a door open that your past self saw was closed at that time.

Spider and Web

This is all I could think about as I read your description (which has a small typo “If you catches you out in an ” should read “If HE catches you.”). I must admit, I am intrigued.

Play Spider and Web. It’s an interactive fiction game. A ‘Text-Adventure’, if you will. (For our younger set think of Text Adventures as the novel to the movie represented by games like Heavy Rain.)

5. CpnCodpiece says:

In the same vein, may I also HIGHLY recommend the excellent art/puzzle game
    Braid.

6. sludig says:

“Thus, for example, if you give someone a cat in hour -1, and fail to pick up the cat in a previous hour, you lose.”

I may be simple, but if you’re successful… from that person’s point of view, you stole the cat they didn’t have, and then brought it back?

dammit, this is essentially the exact same game mechanic i’ve been working on. sigh.

8. airshowfan says:

Wow, that is the most creative game I have heard of in months. “Memento” meets “Clue” in a semi-RPG, semi-Text-Adventure format. I am extremely impressed. Can’t wait to give it a try. (I think the last time I said this about a video game was when I first heard of Portal. No, video games are not a big part of my life, although that’s changing now that I have a touchscreen phone).

And I couldn’t help but think that this will be popular among movie nitpickers; Y’know, the people who say “He was holding the glass with his other hand in the previous shot!” or “That wound was a little bigger at the beginning of the fight”. It’s like a challenge: Let’s see if YOU can maintain continuity!