TOR for Android: anonymize your phone's data-connection

18 Responses to “TOR for Android: anonymize your phone's data-connection”

1. Aaron says:

I’m sure most people here who read this and are interested in Tor know about this already, but just in case somebody doesn’t:

When using Tor, be aware of what it does and doesn’t do! While poxying all your trafic through tor is something I support wholeheartedly, keep in mind that there are dangers, too.

IMO most importantly, malicious Exit Nodes (The last “hop” in a Tor chain, where your packets leave the Tor network and enter the general internet.) can and do read your traffic if it’s not encrypted, allowing them to steal passwords, etc.

Doesn’t make using Tor a bad idea, just something to be aware of.

• Anonymous says:

Here’s an extremely simple solution to your stated negative possible consequences of using Tor…

Don’t use Tor to log onto *ANY* site which holds potentially sensitive personal information!! The whole point of Tor is to be ANONYMOUS on the net. If you’re using Tor to visit sites which require a login, then you’re essentially defeating the intended purpose of Tor completely.

;-)

Sadly getting 403 forbidden right now.

3. zikzak says:

When i scan the QR…

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /dist/android/alpha-orbot-latest.apk on this server.

4. DoppelFrog says:

I get the same problem: “Forbidden”

5. gwynsen says:

same here… :o(

6. archanoid says:

Also getting “forbidden” on the url

7. archanoid says:

FYI, I was able to manually download orbot from the torproject site and get it running on my Droid.

8. DCLies says:

Forbidden. Verizon isn’t installing this one without a fight.

#12

Thank you.
    Though I didn’t do this anyway, I was not aware to what you say…
    Now that you said it, it seems pretty obvious to me…

What other dangers are there?

BTW is it possible for one of the proxies in the communication chain, to add some information of their own?

THX

10. Everett says:

Download worked on T-mobile.

FWIW, the app asks for root access when run, but the torproject page notes that root is not required.

The install via QR worked for me on the VZW HTC Eris. Now need to figure out how to direct my traffic through the proxy.

12. Ben Morris says:

There is Tor for Maemo too – apt-get install tor.

There is also a status area thingy for turning it on and off in a separate package.

Install worked fine for me, Moto Droid 2.1

FYI If you want to learn more about Tor, The Onion Router, look at JetCityOrange.com/Tor/

15. archanoid says:

So I’ve got orbot running on my Droid but…now what? There’s no place to set up proxy for the browser.

It does not work in Saudi Arabia, the site is blocked.