IBM nanotechnologists create smallest 3D map of Earth

21 Responses to “IBM nanotechnologists create smallest 3D map of Earth”

1. hassenpfeffer says:

So glad IBM has the $$ to fund this kind of crap when they’re laying off and offshoring literally thousands of my former coworkers.

• Pantograph says:

In the long run without “this kind of crap” no cows will be orked at IBM at all. If back in the 1950s IBM had stuck to mechanical sorting machines and not invested in that newfangled electronic computer crap they would be a footnote in history by now.

2. irasanborn says:

No love for the Great Lakes.

• MrsBug says:

That’s because the Great Lakes are too AWESOME to be represented by such paltry media. ;)

Also: okay, cool. Great. Another super-small, the world’s smallest whatever. Can we get on with the flying cars and transporters already? We’re already behind schedule.

3. Gamera says:

Wait, is this what those Swiss terrorists were trying to prevent? Those fiends at IBM are making tiny maps – they must be stopped!

4. matari says:

ummm…
    and the practical aspect of this technology is??

• echolocate chocolate says:

Presumably you did not watch the video? They mention rapid nano-fabrication being vital for testing the next generation of integrated circuitry and optical computing–technology that will enable us to watch cats on YouTube in even more places than ever.

• Anonymous says:

watch the video

That is such a poorly-edited video. But really interesting nonetheless.

6. efergus3 says:

Nice, but how do you fold it?

7. jockmac22 says:

I could be wrong on this, please correct me if I am. If the scale is 1:5 billion, and a nanometer is 1 billionth of a meter, that would make Materhorn 5 meters tall.

• Gamera says:

Well since the scale Matterhorn is 25 nanometers, that would imply the real thing is 125 meters. I think the article must be referring to the better known Matterhorn Bobsleds, not the actual mountain.

• wvoyek says:

If the model is 25 nanometers tall and the Matterhorn is ~ 4,500 meters tall then 1 nanometer represents 180 meters. So, the scale would be 1:180,000,000,000. Right? Do I need to go back to elementary school?

I could do a MS Paint of a very very small horse at work, but would I get any attention?

The map is not the territory. Indeed!

The world needs more tiny maps.

11. Adrian Miller says:

If anyone’s interested in finding out more on the science behind this story, we’ve set the original research article free to access for the next few weeks; you can find it here: http://www.materialsviews.com/details/news/687441/Nanocartography__in_3D.html

Adrian Miller
    Advanced Materials

12. Nevermore says:

Now the nanobots know where we live… we’re doomed… DOOMED!

I think a cooler way to think about it is that a the bond length between two atoms is generally in the range of 0.1 to 0.5 nanometers. That means the resolution of this nanopatterner is about 2-10 atoms.

14. Pantograph says:

I’m more shocked that the Flat Earth Society has taken over nanoscale manufacturing. In my world a 3D map of the Earth would be a sphere.