Pumzi: sci-fi short film from Kenya

19 Responses to “Pumzi: sci-fi short film from Kenya”

1. holtt says:

I really like that mix of natural colors with high tech. The bottom picture there is gorgeous.

2. RevGreg says:

More pls…kthxbi!

3. DeWriter says:

Looks like a cool film. OK, so what? Where can we see it. Their “screenings” page is blank. Why dangle an unobtainable thing before us? That’s just cruel.

4. anticonnor says:

While this short looks beautiful in its own right, this really just makes me nostalgic for some THX… I do believe that I’ll have to give that another watch this week!

5. Chentzilla says:

Visible nipples, that’s what Mass Effect costumes lack.

6. pinehead says:

The idea seems at least somewhat similar to Varmints mixed with a dash of Planet of the Apes (I’m thinking of the forbidden zone there). All in all, it looks remarkably well done. I look forward to seeing it in its entirety.

7. Grey Devil says:

I’ve been keeping an eye on this film since i heard about it. I’m very intrigued by it and i hope to be able to see it whenever it’s made available.

8. Ukumbwa says:

I have seen Pumzi at Sundance and it is an amazing film. The challenge of a great film such as this is that it brings issues of movie length/genre, access, race/culture, class, gender and even narrative sensibility into focus as we see what gets easily (if there is such a thing….more easily) promoted/distributed and what does not. Another film at Sundance, “Frozen”, a real bomb of a film already had distribution set up. DO NOT SEE THAT FILM!….but we need to be able to see films such as Pumzi. It is rich in important and socially-functional symbolism. It’s a semiotic feast. And it means something. Please see if there is any way YOU can help in bringing Pumzi to your local theaters or colleges/universities. The director is an amazingly intelligent and engaging woman and would be a great gift to any audience that could get her into their company.

I think the greater question: Who is the lead acress?

I am howling like a Tex Avery wolf here. Beautiful!

Limited budget, perhaps, but look at those locations! Millions saved by being native to the locale.

Agreed, there is a certain THX feel to this, but I’m eager to see it on its own merits.

I love the homage to THX1138 in this film.

Wall-E + Black People = Sign me up!

13. scifijazznik says:

Wow. Looks really cool. And certainly I can’t be the only one here who developed an acute case of the hots for the female lead…

14. jfrancis says:

Looks well done, especially for a short. Reminds me a little of “It’s Such a Beautiful Day” by Asimov.

15. Trent Hawkins says:

Haven’t seen it yet, but the screenshot above looks suspiciously like something out of Gentlemen Broncos.

16. RikF says:

The only problem now is finding a way to see it :( My festival calender is blank for this year at the moment. Some many good shorts, so few eyes get to see them.

17. kimnbri says:

Sounds like Wall-e blended with Logan’s run, Aeon flux and 1964 (maybe a hint of THX?). Looks very nice though…

18. kmoser says:

Ahhhh, the future: where everybody is bald and wears gymnastics outfits.