Eye-Gifts from Pedro: photography of Mike Watt, iconic punk bassist

13 Responses to “Eye-Gifts from Pedro: photography of Mike Watt, iconic punk bassist”

Did this show get extended? Because according to the gallery site, it closed yesterday.

2. coldsnap says:

I third having Mike Watt as a guest blogger. I finally had a chance to meet Mike in Tokyo about a year ago. I got choked up trying to tell him how much his (The Minutemen)’s music meant to me as a kid. He just gave me a little hug and said “Write your own book, start your own band.” Coolest guy ever.

3. Marshall says:

FYI – Watt’s exhibition at Track 16 closed yesterday, May 16.

4. aquathug says:

San Pedro does not exist, despite what you have read here.

• craig1st says:

I attest to the veracity of the aquathug assertion. As someone who was born in San Pedro, at a red brick hospital that no longer exists in a time nearly forgotten, the place indeed no longer exists, amen. Watt, hey.

• devophill says:

craig1st and aquathug, wtf? Is there a gaping void outside my window I don’t know about? Also, if you’re talking about the hospital up by Fort MacArthur, hey, my grandfather worked there! If you’re referring to San Pedro hospital, yes it’s still there and still made of red brick. Things change, guys.

5. zounder says:

Just to add some fuel to the guest-penman talk – aside from being one of the great living electric bass players, Watt holds down a busy blog of his own adventures as a hard working touring musician. He’s got a great and totally unique outlook on life and creativity that’s well worth reading. hootpage.com is his site (scroll down some for text links to various diaries)…

6. nfatb says:

Seconding the guest-blogger suggestion, that’s a great idea.

Besides playing in at least two of the best bands of all time, it’s worth adding that by all accounts (including my own experience, on several occasions) Watt’s also one of the nicest guys in the music business.

• Anonymous says:

Watt as a guest blogger would be great. In a previous job, I dealt with a lot of musical “artists” and Watt was probably the coolest, most self-effacing big name star that I ever had the pleasure of working with.

7. Ambiguity says:

…best known as the bassist for one of the greatest bands in the history of mankind, the Minutemen.

Let’s not forget fIREHOSE when we’re speaking of Greatest-band-of-all-time-for-the-day!

8. redheadedandstrangerthan says:

One more vote for Watt as guest blogger! And yes, he is one of the nicest people you’ll ever meet, inside the music business or out.

9. scifijazznik says:

Just wanted to concur with the assertion that the Minutemen were indeed one of the best bands of all time. And that Mike Watt would make a most excellent guest blogger.