Drainspotting, a book about Japanese manholes

15 Responses to “Drainspotting, a book about Japanese manholes”

How are they made? What materials will hold-up to cars constantly driving over them?

Haha! Pogs…

3. jtegnell says:

After living in Japan for four years, spending a ton of time walking, I must say I have never seen one of these.

Colored and illustrated tiles on the street, yes, but anything other than normal, metal manhole covers and drains, no.

4. IamInnocent says:

I’ll wait for that book about Yakusa’s tattooed anuses.

Seriously though, this is better than ours, which are still grates.

5. Nelson.C says:

One of the many charming things I like about Japan.

6. froodian says:

When I visited Japan as a child, we had a big book where would take rubbings of manhole covers we came across. I’ve always loved how the Japanese take a mundane location and infuse it with art. Similarly, I loved the animations drawn on the Tokyo subway walls:

7. JIMWICh says:

Yeah, I’m also curious as to what the colored fill material is. Anybody know, or have a guess?

These are gorgeous.

8. Yamara says:

They are the world’s biggest pogs!

Hi Guys – I am the author of the book, and the IPAD/Iphone APP, Remo Camerota.
    If you want to know the answers to the question about what they use to make them and how they last ….well youll have to get the book or the App. Its all revealed within the text and images. Thanks for your support! :)

drainspotting APP here :

10. Masashi says:

This is a really beautiful collection!
     For another twist on these – there’s also a woman who takes “Takuhon” prints of these covers around Japan I recently interviewed
    : http://bit.ly/9H6VhU.

11. karrock says:

Yeah… The phrase “Japanese Manholes” just DID NOT strike up a very exciting image for me… O.o

12. CANTFIGHTTHEDITE says:

I’ve seen some fancy looking manholes in North America, but never painted like these ones. Purrrrty.

13. Brainspore says:

It pains me that I’m even tempted to point out the fundamental differences between a drain and a manhole cover.