16 Responses to “Neal Stephenson, Greg Bear and friends launch The Mongoliad: a shared universe that could only live on the Web”

1. jeremy bornstein says:

Aw shucks, thanks Cory!

Neal Stephenson meets Wikipedia? And it’s interactive? My wallet! :(

3. Aloisius says:

Unless I’m misunderstanding something, this sounds like my nightmare – an engaging story without end. I need a climax and everything wrapped up when I read stories or I feel unfulfilled.

4. sidb says:

Sounds interesting but like it will require more energy to consume than traditional SF reading. It could also come with larger rewards, but still, that potentially puts it in a totally different hobby orbital.

But for now, that isn’t my question. This is: what’s that beautiful font on the cover graphic?

• cerement says:

@sidb: font has been copied many times, but available as Humanist from FontShop, Codex from Linotype, and Calligraphic 421 from any Corel/URW collection.

I wanna play! I wanna play!

6. kakiphony says:

Any word on when there will be content? I’ve seen this linked several places now, but there’s nothing at the site but the cover. Is there an RSS feed I can subscribe to so I can be automatically notified when it’s live?

7. Zaren says:

Sounds promising. I’ll keep an eye on this.

Also, I totally forgot about Shadow Unit! Thanks for the reminder!

If you view the page source you will find:
    “”The Mongoliad is a family of apps for handhelds
    which enable a new model for publishing, and a new way to tell stories. At the center of the service is a ripping medieval adventure by Neal Stephenson, Greg Bear, and other great authors, about a time when Europe thought that the Monglol Horde was about to destroy their world, and the
    exploits of a small band of mystics and warriors as they turn the tide of history.”

Handhelds.

For those who want to see the unveiling, it’s tonight at the http://sfappshow.com — tickets are still available at the door (which opens at 5:30pm): 111 Minna.

Or watch online: http://sfappshow.com/live

10. Rindan says:

Neal Stephenson is my literary hero. If I had to read the writings of just a single fiction author for the rest my life, Neal Stephenson would be the guy I pick.

I’ll be very curious to see how this turns out. I like the idea in theory, but the execution sounds tricky.

11. Rodney says:

People keep linking to this empty page. It’s very frustrating.

12. RangerSG says:

I’ve been around a few shared worlds. Was once part of a long-term collaborative story. This really sounds interesting to me. :)

13. impboy says:

One question: how do the principals expect to get paid for their efforts?

14. warmgun says:

Is this similar to the wiki fans of Penny Arcade created about Tycho’s fake fantasy epic? http://elothtes.pbworks.com/