One of the dairy factory-farm workers who reportedly appeared in an internet video in which multiple men tortured cows has been arrested on 12 counts of animal cruelty. The animal rights group Mercy for Animals shot the undercover footage, and released it online. The video shows men:
• Violently punching young calves in the face, body slamming them to the ground, and pulling and throwing them by their earsYou can watch the video, or read about what it contains, here. Be forewarned, it's a real bummer. The arrested worker's mugshot is here. I figured a nice happy free-range bovine was better for this blog post than either of those eyeball-burners.
• Routinely using pitchforks to stab cows in the face, legs, and stomach
• Kicking "downed" cows (those too injured to stand) in the face and neck
• Maliciously beating restrained cows in the face with crowbars
• Twisting cows' tails until the bones snapped
Boing Boing editor/partner and tech culture journalist Xeni Jardin hosts and produces Boing Boing's in-flight TV channel on Virgin America airlines (#10 on the dial), and writes about living with breast cancer. Diagnosed in 2011. @xeni on Twitter. email: email@example.com.