Meet the bone-eating snot-flower worm

16 Responses to “Meet the bone-eating snot-flower worm”

1. hassenpfeffer says:

A grateful non-German-speaker thanks the BB collective.

this was the mystery growth featured on the Nov 11the episode of Bones!!

Knochen essen Rotz Blume Wurm

4. chenille says:

Peter’s translation is good, but: somehow in the English name, the genus and species got reversed. It should really be a snot-flower bone-eating worm, or Schleimblumen Knochenfresser-Wurm.

And in fact, Knochenfresser-Wurm is what Osedax are actually called in German, although I couldn’t find any name for this particular species. So if you need to talk to any Hamburger marine biologists about them, you won’t be misunderstood.

• peterbruells says:

Actually, when I did the translation I mixed up the compounds and started working on the bone-earting snot-mouth worm. So my first try was the Knochenfressender Rotzschnauzwurm.

I’m so in favor of anyone finding that beast.

5. hassenpfeffer says:

I imagine “bone-eating snot-flower worm” would translate fabulously into German. Any takers? (No, Google, not you.)

6. David Carroll says:

Thanks for invitation to meet your worm friend Maggie. I do not wish to have my bones eaten today, and have all the snot I need. Should my circumstances change I will get back to you.

knochenessige”mocus” blumenwurm is my best guess…. My German is a bit rusty.Flor Gusano mucoso come huesos, in spanish

8. Art says:

Google Translate has a wonderful German translation:

“Knochen-Essen Rotz-flower-Wurm”

Lovely!!!

• peterbruells says:

Yet wrong.

Knochenfressender Rotzblumenwurm.

Or Scheimblumenwurm.

Depends on how polite you want to be.

Is ”Snot“ understood to mean nasal mucus only?

• peterbruells says:

Schleimblumenwurm of course. Schleim being a cognate to slime.

• Ralph Giles says:

“Snot” in colloquial English means nasal mucus, but I have heard molecular biologists refer to other mucus informally as “snot”. The polite version as ‘mucopolysaccarides’; ‘polysaccaride snot’ was used when one wanted to emphasize the chemical characteristics. So the nasal denotation isn’t essential, however much the connotation resonates with “bone-eating”.

The german meaning would be:

“Knochenfressender Rotz-Blumen-Wurm”

=)

10. hassenpfeffer says:

Best. Discussion. Thread. Ever. Thanks, @peterbruells!

Peter Bruells’ translation is correct. But: “Schleimblumenwurm”, not “Scheim…”.

Knochenverzehrender Schnodderblütenwurm would also work.