katamarinouveau.jpg Basically at the exact moment when I thought to myself, "I should maybe hold off on posting any more Katamari things", along comes Kate Elizabeth's stunning art nouveau tribute, and how could I resist. See the original sketch here, and her process animation here. [via Alex Litel]

14 Responses to “Image: Katamari Nouveau

1. sloverlord says:

na-naaaaaaaa nanana-na-na-na-na na-na-na na-na-naaaaaaaa

2. robulus says:

Brandon, please keep posting these fantastic illustrations. I am just loving your stuff.

You can never have enough Katamari in your life, and this poster is such an original idea.

I have a PS3 and love the Katamari game. My biggest complaint about it though is that there is no downloadable content available for it. I would love to be able to buy more levels.

Or why no follow up game? I want more!!! After playing Little Big Planet and Mod Nation Racers, I don’t know if I’m ever going to buy another game that doesn’t have a level generator and downloadable content.

I love Elizabeth’s work. It wasn’t obvious after looking around for a bit, but is there some way to buy high quality prints?

5. fricative says:

Just look at it.

6. Shoomlah says:

That’s a fantastic idea, but I’d love to see an iteration that really took advantage of the foundational basics of Art Nouveau- Nouveau compositions are usually painfully planned out and beautifully composed, and there are a lot of elements in this that don’t quite compare.

7. Gilbert Wham says:

More of this. Less of everything else.

8. infinity says:

somewhere, the ghost of alphonse mucha is smiling. (and possibly playing a couple rounds on the great nintendo dsi in the sky.)

9. hassenpfeffer says:

Delicious, delicious crab…

10. barbsobel says:

roll roll roll.

i love me some Katarmari. and i’m not ashamed.

To my eye, this isn’t really Art Nouveau. This looks like more of the Arts and Crafts style, or maybe Toulouse-Lautrec’s post-impressionist style around the same time.

Art Nouveau has dominant nature themes with climbing vines and organic plant-like shapes. All the emphasis in A.N. is on the elaborate perfection of these ornamental curves.

12. dculberson says:

Why hold off? That’s like holding off on posting more Zelda things. Just a ridiculous thing to do.