Architectural criticism of couch-cushion forts

15 Responses to “Architectural criticism of couch-cushion forts”

1. Rob Beschizza says:

3 years old and not one of them has figured out cantilevers. Digusting.

2. clevergirl says:

As the mother of the adorable child pictured above, I’m proud to say that I chose the couch specifically because it had fort-enabling cushions. Five years later, they’re pretty much demolished and he has moved on to lego architecture and vehicle design.

3. Ugly Canuck says:

I am often criticized for my couch-cushion farts too.

4. loocas says:

Doing exams over the next couple of weeks, this captures exactly what we’ve been all doing all along.

“I admire the shitshitshitshitshitshitshit linear use of lieslieslieslieslieslieslies. Taking the obtuse arsemongershitshitshitshitshit. And thats why I consider it the best poet ever.”

5. cjp says:

I grew up in an old house with both a living room and a parlour, so couch cushion forts were a staple of our playtime diet. We furnished ours with tea sets,towels and my mother’s elongated tube hairdryer which we duct taped to the end of a melodica. No house is complete without a piano, after all.

6. holtt says:

Hehe this is wonderful :)

I think there’d be a market for bars & other establishments where adults have very large cushions to play with, and are allowed to build as they wish.

That and a place where you get to play with real earth moving equipment like a backhoe and bobcats – and later you get to sit up on a balcony with a beer and criticize those below. No beer before though, only after.

• igpajo says:

Hey I’ve heard of a couple “summer camps” like that…but they’re billed as Men’s camp or something like that where you get to go race cars, shoot guns, play with construction equipment, then whiskey tasting at night. Google searching finds one in Orange County: http://www.bbbs.org/site/c.giJRK3PBJnH/b.4951731/

• Anonymous says:

I have often “dreamed” of a “dude-ranch”-type place in an abandoned strip mine with earth movers, Euclid dump trucks, “steam-shovels,” huge excavators, massive Caterpillars, etc., that anyone could go to and be able to fulfill a childhood fantasy. And, have a hotel with the correct amenities, and yes, the deck from each room to be able to look out over the others running equipment, and just be able to dream. What a concept. Unfortunately, probably not a money-maker–but, would we ever have fun!!!! jpn

7. Roy Trumbull says:

Grandson Isaac, whom we swear was born wearing a tool belt, has often commanded every pillow to be found in our house and utilized them in a structure of his design. Eat your heart out Toys-R-Us.

8. Ugly Canuck says:

And in the kitchen: the pots + pans + wooden spoons drum kit, to help celebrate the fall, or defense, of the couch-cushion fort.

9. lectroid says:

For those interested in a construction machine themepark, your prayers have been answered:

For those on the other side of the atlantic:

That said, I would totally patronize a restaurant where seating was comfy couches and fort-building was encouraged.

10. holtt says:

I was giggling like a school girl watching the time laps video from http://www.digthis.info :D

11. knoxblox says:

Tensile structures FTW! No good nomadic fort ignores the ability to pack up and go at a moment’s notice.