The city of Detroit has bought an abandoned MGM Casino (it was supplanted by a bigger, glitzier one) to house the fire department and police HQ; it will also house the long-shuttered police lab, closed in 2008 because of "processing errors."
"I am glad to finally be able to move our officers into a safe, sound and functional structure that is also citizen friendly and accessible," Mayor Dave Bing said in a statement today. "This represents an important step in making our city more operationally efficient ... and safe."Detroit to purchase old MGM Grand casino for new police HQ (via Consumerist)
- Lost Landscapes of Detroit from the Prelinger Archives
- Pictory's Neighborhood Treasures: Detroit Smile
- Stop robot poverty: i3 Detroit hackerspace fundraiser
- Turn a quarter of Detroit into "semi-rural" farms?
- Artists buying cheap houses in Detroit
- Buy an inch of land in Detroit
- Prelinger's Lost Landscapes of Detroit now available for download ...
- Haunting photo-essay on rotting buildings in Detroit