E3 2010: the 4 things you need to know about Microsoft's press conference

23 Responses to “E3 2010: the 4 things you need to know about Microsoft's press conference”

1. gobo says:

I’m guessing the Peter Molyneux virtual-child game they demoed last year has been delayed a bit to downplay the uncanny-valley quotient. Fuzzy tiger cubs are more family-friendly than bringing a new little kid into the house.

• echolocate chocolate says:

They’re not demoing the Peter Molyneux child-fondling simulator because they can’t ship a programmer with every copy to sit behind your TV pulling the strings.

I wonder if the free ESPN will be like the free Netflix Integration. AKA totally useless if you’re not in the USA.

• Agies says:

Given what the advert on the 360 dashboard says, you will only get it if you can already get ESPN 3 (formerly ESPN 360).

3. grimc says:

A Metal Gear game on the Xbox is pretty significant, isn’t it? It’s the PS flagship franchise.

4. TechnoBach says:

When i hear Kinect, see a webcam-esque device, and read about motion tracking, it all reminds me of PS2′s EyeToy and Kinetic. I bet EyeToy is just as fun as whatever Mircosoft’ll release. Which means that its not that big of a break through.

Microsoft, bringing you what everyone else had years ago in a shiny black package and a weird name.

• WizarDru says:

That’s a bet you’d LOSE. The eyetoy and PS3 eye have, until this point, been very under-utilized. If not for ‘Eye of Judgement’ and some Singstar integration, it would be totally useless.

I downloaded some of the PS3 eyetoy ‘toy’ applicatinos…and felt cheated by them. They were boring and weak and my family and I were bored with them in five minutes.

The kinect launch titles are already more compelling than anything Sony has released in the last four years for the eye-toy except for ‘Judgement’. Sony’s ‘pet’ application was looking good…but now Kinectimals looks to up that ante by a great deal. Frankly, Sony really needs to up their game…and the eyetoy has been forgotten (as Sony and Nintendo both tend to do) in favor of Move.

I don’t care how flashy and fancy they make their consoles. Microsoft isn’t getting another dime from me until they build quality hardware that doesn’t overheat to the point of breaking the entire sytem.

6. Ugly Canuck says:

This implies that some will be connecting with Kinect in Connecticut.

7. Roy Trumbull says:

More gigabytes of HD means more sloppy spaghetti code.
    They have to learn you lock 6 teenage code geegs in a room and pass pizza and Cokes under the door and only go in when they say it’s okay.

• Rayonic says:

Games still have to fit on a small number of DVDs, usually 1. And code, spaghetti or not, is generally dwarfed by art and other game assets in terms of size.

And it’s not like developers want to alienate the millions of users with smaller hard drives.

Nexbox 360 looks pretty cool actually. like those alien ware computer.

9. leaknoil says:

Is it true that all the media at the press event got free Xbox’s from Microsoft ?

I’m not saying if Brandon got a free Xbox or not but, seems like ‘journalist’ shouldn’t be taking expensive presents from those they write about or if they do should fully disclose they received expensive items from the subject during the event.

I’m only interested in a stable Xbox 360 that doesn’t die after a year. Having been through 4 boxes, this is far more important to me. I don’t care about motion tracking or any of that crap. I sit on my rear when I’m playing video games. If I want a workout, I’ll go to the gym or buy the craptacular wii dust collector.

11. Notary Sojac says:

So the family gamers get “Wii II” and the hardcore gamers get sequel after sequel after sequel after sequel.

Nice to see MS bringing the same spirit of innovation to their gaming operation as has long characterized their office suite business.

Brandon, are you there? Did you wear a white poncho?

13. dculberson says:

That is a seriously awkward name. Kinect. It hurts my eyes and brain.

• Stay_Sane_Inside_Insanity says:

In the world of silly names, “Kinect” is nothing compared to “Wii.” It’s been a couple of years, so we’ve all gotten used to it, but remember how much fun EVERYONE made of Nintendo for that name?

• Anonymous says:

Well, creative misspelling has long been a popular way of coming up with product names. In this case, I’m guessing they’re blending “kinetic” with “connect”

14. Agies says:

It may seem odd but the announcement of ESPN for the 360 was the best part of the press conference. Making it free for gold subscribers is an amazing value.

Kinect didn’t come off as very compelling at all. Only Kinectimals and Dance Central were at all interesting. Forza was kind of cool but nothing you can’t do with a controller really. Far more interested if they can add head tracking to the existing game. The gesture controlled interface seemed somewhat awkward, a lot of holding your hand in place or fiddly back and forth to rewind. Voice control is interesting but I’m wondering how much training it will take. All in all I’m not sure it’s worth the rumored $150 above the standard console price.