19 Responses to “Games Inspired By Music: A game development competition with Safari Books Online”

You might not think that games inspired by music would make it, and that there have been too many failures in the past. I am continually amazed that Rockband and GH bucked this trend. IMHO it’s cause these games had good game design, but more importantly that they played smoothly and cleanly, and were not too hard in the beginning or too easy with experience.

2. Rob Beschizza says:

As it’s a point of contention for one or two people, we’ve started a new comment thread for debate of the competition rules, under the rules post itself, and moved relevant comments to that thread. Try to keep this thread focused on discussion of the competition and entries.

3. UltimateWalrus says:

Just to clarify, is this due on the midnight between July 4 and July 5, or the midnight between July 5 and July 6? “MIDNIGHT July 5″ could be interpreted either way.

4. MrPhil says:

Just to make sure I understand things: Am I allowed to make a game using the chiptunes listed above for this contest?

• Rob Beschizza says:

Yes! Any any others where the musician has either licensed them appropriately or gives written permission for you to do so. Some artists have approached us and I’ll be adding some more tunes to the suggested pool soon.

5. jibbles says:

This contest is a great idea, and I hope you run more challenges like this in the future! I’m looking forward to seeing the entries. (Too busy to cook one up myself this week, but perhaps another time.)

6. Manooshi says:

Chiptunes rule.

7. ben says:

I dunno what all the tizzy is aboot, but I’m fairly certain we couldn’t resell/license/distribute the games for profit in any case since most of the music uses a Creative Commons BY-NC-SA license. Unless you get special permission from the author, of course.

Only now wishing I could draw. My WarioWare DIY art looks like it belongs to a 4yr old. :) But I have come across many free sprite collections over the years, seems like a good chance to use them.

Yo Boing Boing,

This contest sounds like a lot of fun, thanks for putting it together. Looks like you’ll be seeing an entry from me and some buddies :)

Quick note though: next time please provide a more concise, terse version of the rules. They’re difficult to consume in their current state.

Thanks!

9. Rob Beschizza says:

——-

10. Egypt Urnash says:

Man, 4Mat. He’s been around forever! And this’ll be far from the first time his music’s shown up in games… (and I’m pretty sure neither of those lists is anywhere near exhaustive.)

Man, I wish I knew about this contest earlier! There are a lot of great artists at http://boston8bit.com (including Disasterpeace!) with a bunch of fun music to peruse/download. Check it out! :-D

Cheers,
    -Chris

12. zachstronaut says:

You can play my submission online in Firefox, Chrome, or Safari here:

I used the song “Infiltration at dusk” by Tettix off the Technology Crisis II album. Thanks Tettix for the great music.

Good luck everybody!

13. Laroquod says:

Never signed up for Safari Books Online — what’s DRM situation on those free books? Can I download them or am I forced to read them in a browser? If the latter, unfortunately they are useless to me.

Oh noes! I would have loved to do this if I had heard about it earlier. I’ll have to keep a closer eye on the Offworld feed for any other contests like this.

Man, I’ve got a final project to do these next 2 weeks. Bad time. I’ve got an idea, and it’d be quick, so I might be able to crank it out on time.