1890 ad for "unrivalled" fairy cakes

15 Responses to “1890 ad for "unrivalled" fairy cakes”

Don’t think I’d want little naked babies sitting on mine, thanks

2. Fef says:

Fairies added to show scale.

FYI @devophill & @Anom#6

THIS is a fairy cake: http://www.littleshamrocks.com/image-files/fairy_cakes_lg.jpg

Or any cake that has a little piece cut off the top and something added between, normally buttercream. We still have cup-cakes in the UK, they’re not synonymous.

The little top piece is sometimes split in two and looks a little like wings on the top; hence fairy.

4. dr.hypercube says:

Peek Frean makes a kick ass Digestive – one of the things we always loaded the card with when we came back to the States from visiting Gramma in North Bay (also – cheddar, beer).

5. Crispy Critter says:

Peek, Frean & Co.’s Unrivalled Fairy Cakes! Perfect for building your own Total Perspective Vortex!

6. dculberson says:

I bought their cakes based upon the claims in their ad and found them to be significantly smaller than the average toddler. I’m contacting the ASA.

7. Stefan Jones says:

Peek Freans! Their tea biscuits were, and probably still are, sold in the States. They had a great commercial that suggested that they were a serious cookie too sophisticated for kids.

8. proletariat says:

There’s a joke about Antinous somewhere in there..

9. IWood says:

Those are high class biscuits. I recognize them.

10. sergeirichard says:

Don’t they come from England?

From childhood, I can picture a biscuit tin that was faded even then. But I didn’t remember there was a comma in the name, or that it was spelled quite like that. I entertained a vague hope that the biscuits partook of the quality known as “Freen”. And not just moderate, ordinary Freen, but Peak Freen.

in ireland (dublin anyway), that’s what we call cup cakes – “fairy cakes”. no sh1t

12. devophill says:

So that’s what a fairy cake is! Now I know in case I ever need to extrapolate the whole of creation.

13. MadMolecule says:

Ooh, are they made from real fairies?