Icelandic Modern Media Initiative passes: a new safe haven for journalists?

10 Responses to “Icelandic Modern Media Initiative passes: a new safe haven for journalists?”

Actually, Iceland is going to put pressure on the rest of the world to tell the truth. If Iceland offers a paid for Internet version of their media, I would buy it–just to get the truth. I cannot say this for other Internet media that wants paid subscriptions.

If these Icelandic newspapers need remote stringers in other countries, I know that I would apply. I can foresee this activity spawning a series of things like REMOTE HOSTING SITES FOR MEDIA THAT NEEDS PROTECTION, international subscriptions to Icelandic media and a renewal of people’s interest in REAL JOURNALISM.

People are frustrated by the lack of truth around them and I think that they will be really excited over this turn of events. The truth would completely change how many people view their governments. Just as Icelanders discovered that one of their banks was little more than a Ponzi scheme and acted appropriately to prosecute that malfeasance, so the rest of the world could begin to learn what kind of criminal enterprises have been conducted by their allegedly-elected officials.

Bravo Iceland!

MK

2. blackhound says:

Would this be the modern equivalent of “How the Irish Saved Civilization”? With the roles of the various Huns, Ostrogoths and Visigoths played by the RIAA, the movie studios, and… Apple?

3. klintron says:

This is good news and I hope it does some good for international free speech. However, there’s still a pretty big barrier to this being successful: “the problem is that whatever Iceland does, it can’t change the 500-pound gorilla of international media law: the principle that publication happens at the point of download, not the point of upload.”

4. tyger11 says:

Hopefully Wikileaks director Julian Assange can make his way there before being arrested by Obama’s goons. (I never thought I’d use the phrase “Obama’s goons”. *sigh*)

Bravo, Iceland!

6. Daedalus says:

Iceland! Yay!

Between you guys and India, I’m having a lot of hope for the future at the moment. I’m keeping my eye on this — I might be looking for a new country around 2012 or so. ;)

Nice Icleand. Niceland.

This Country is famous in Brasil by Linnus Torvalds. Congratulations!

9. Trey Ratcliff says:

Great article… nice find… Iceland is really a great place and it doesn’t surprise me.

I actually just finished a 2-week photo adventure there. Glad you liked that pic!

10. minamisan says:

Great initiative, but Iceland is a tiny country that needs funds and, as such, it can be leaned on pretty easily when the need arises. If the EU can pressure Switzerland into giving up bank account names and details despite that country’s rigid privacy laws, I can’t imagine Iceland being too much of a challenge when someone powerful wants some info about a whistleblower or two.