Sesame Street meets Pakistani "Sufiyan English" film theme

14 Responses to “Sesame Street meets Pakistani "Sufiyan English" film theme”

Hi again, thanks CopraCandy Interesting to hear that version. Here is the song from the film you mention.
    cheers
    inshreds66

2. sing it, baby says:

Newest furry creature — the mayor of Karachi.

3. turbanhead says:

The original song and many other Lollywood songs in that genre are available here http://kreismyr.blogspot.com/2009/03/sound-of-wonder-1973-1980.html

This song can be found on a superb compilation done by Finders Keepers Records. It is titled the “Sound of Wonder”. WRCT Pittsburgh has played the holy hell out of that thing.

5. Gilgongo says:

My god that 16 shades of totally incredible! “Sing with mee! Dive with the beeee! Humanity, ling(?)!”

• Anonymous says:

I sing Urdu songs and have dubbed Big Bird and Oscar The Grouch in Urdu on the Pakistani franchise of Sesame Street/Open Sesame. I also sing some famous songs by the original singer who sang “The Song of Wonder!” – Ahmed Rushdi.

I’m sure he’s saying “humanityling” which is kind of a specially-coined Pakistani synonym for “human” or “earthling”. :) Admittedly this word hasn’t been used anywhere before or after this song.

• Jerril says:

Taking a stab at it, I think it’s “Get together / Don’t be lonely / Life is a game of few days only / What is happiness and what is sorrow / Don’t think, sing with me / Die with me, Humanity” and then the spare syllible at the end is either more onomatopia there to preserve the rhythm, something in or related to Urdu grammar, or a combination of both that I’m completely not capable of understanding.

A little googling says the song name in English is “the Sound of Wonder” not “The Song of Wonder”, btw.

• Anonymous says:

It’s definitely “humanityling”, a once-in-a-lifetime Pakistani synonym for “earthling”. And in keeping with the light-hearted feel-good film this is from (“Dekha Jaaye Ga”), it’s almost certainly not “die with me”, but what it is even I can’t guess (“tie”?).

6. MrsBug says:

Grover, rockin’ the world beat. Fabulous!

Hi all, I edited the video together from an old Sesame Street video to match it up to the words of the song. I didn’t really know what he was saying in places. The song is named as Sound of Wonder on the LP record I have, but I read that the lyrics were Song of wonder. That is also what is sounded like he was singing, So now I know it translates as Sound of wonder which is what I originally called it and about the onomatopia to preserve the rhythm. I am pleased you like it, as it took me a long to get it match.

8. autologica says:

I did a little research up about this, since I was also curious about the lyrics. After a little digging, I found this page:

On the right hand side, you can see the person who created this video give a shot at translating the lyrics and giving some background.

The two non-english lines in the entire song are ‘Dama dam mast Qalandar Sakhi Shabaaz Qalandar’.
    If I’m not mistaken, these lines are a direct reference to a sufi mystic, Hazrat Lal Shahbaaz Qalandar, and the song itself is derived from a devotional song. From what I can gather from the webs,
    the lines roughly translate to “God intoxicated Qalandar, friend of Shabaaz Qalandar”. This particular mystic tried to bring peace between Hindus and Muslims. My guess the song is a juxtaposition of this mystic’s teachings and references to his personage (‘Dama dam mast Qalandar / sakhi Shabaaz Qalandar’). Lyrics of the original devotional song plus some more background can be found here:

Hope others find this as illuminating as I did!

-SM

9. noah django says:

Hey, 8ate: love that you found this video, but you are aware that white supremacists use “88″ as a numeric code to recognize like, right? Not sure if it matters to you, but knowing is half the battle, etc.

10. CopraCandy says:

Funny… I heard this old song so long ago when I was a kid and now it resurfaces on YouTube. LOL

It’s from some old movie and I think it was meant as something of a profound joke, which is why it was in English.

The original folk tune is about a Saint who settled this area of Pakistan and how he loved to party.

Sufi Saints were regarded as holy men but unlike holy men of other religions, THEY liked to party and mingle and dance.

And they would also pray for you with an uncanny knack for having that prayer come true.

For example, you want to get rich, the Saint might pray for you, and you might find a pot of gold under your bed the next morning.

So these guys became folk heroes with even Kings walking barefoot for miles to coming to meet them for advice.

Anyway…I would translate ‘Dama dam mast Qalandar / sakhi Shabaaz Qalandar’ as “dance vigorous Saint Qalandar/ Our generous Saint Shahbaz Qalandar!” (dama-dam is the sound of drums)

Here is the original in Urdu performed by Shazia Khushak (Pakistani folk singer) at the shrine/grave of the Sufi Saint, Shahbaz Qalander.

11. GuidoDavid says:

Having a blast with this song. I am spending the summer with people from all over the world and some of them are Pakistani, they explained to me the song and its origins. It is apparently used in weddings, also. Now I love Sufis even more!