Modern gadgets made in 1977

20 Responses to “Modern gadgets made in 1977”

1. Practical Archivist says:

Alex’s beautiful anachronisms from a fictional 1977 are lovely and delicious. Thank you, Rob, for sending them into my data stream. Personally, I dig fake woodgrain stickers. In fact, I’d gladly cover my ugly cellphone with one. Just sayin.

2. optuser says:

Who wants to put their new iPhone into a vinyl woodgrain case?

3. Jack says:

These are okay, but the general “schtick” seems to be to use woodgrain and add a brown-ish tint to the pictures.

If you look at real electronics from the era, there’s a richer world of “faux” than this. For example, AM pocket radios often came in fake plastic leather-is cases with holes die cut in them to access controls. A lot of the tuners or faces on said radios has thin brushed metal faces which always had a thin plastic coating from the factory that some peeled away and some left on to protect the metal.

4. nixiebunny says:

The only thing that would make that Pocket Hi-Fi more realistic would be a gearshift lever protruding from the front instead of the control knob. Craig made cassette players that way, and it was an excellent design motif.

5. VagabondAstronomer says:

This is ironic; I’ve been having plenty of dreams of late about 60′s and 70′s design aesthetic, mainly the minimalism, in modern life; desktop computers with wood and chrome trim, user interfaces that look more like updated Xerox Alto than Mac or Windows, nice sleek design in brutally simple shades. I prefer that reality to the clutter I currently find myself.
    Long live Dieter Rams…

6. rebdav says:

basement-bong-punk?
    woodgrain-punk?
    avacado-green-punk?
    oil-embargo-punk?
    Carter-punk?
    We need to have a name for this!

7. rebdav says:

maybe even…
    actual-real-punk-punk!

Is he selling prints?

9. bjacques says:

I am in awe. But you need some 1977-era models to go with those. Here are a few who’ve been kept on ice since then…

10. Rob Beschizza says:

This is depunk.

I think this might be the one thing that cannot become thingpunk, because punk was in part a reaction against this to begin with. It’s not even antipunkpunk, because bloated 1970s technocratic culture was a passive subject of punk’s wrath rather than a self-aware conscious response to it.

11. HeartlessMachine says:

That “Pocket Hi-Fi” is killing me softly. I need it. I burn, I pine, and I perish.

I wonder if my entire Blue Oyster Cult collection would fit on it…

12. darren says:

What an inspired piece of work. I love it.

13. gpeare says:

I propose Polyesterpunk

14. IronEdithKidd says:

Oh, the fake woodgrain. Why did it have to be on everything? It’s still amazingly ugly.

15. usonia says:

rebdav, gpeare, no. Stop adding punk to stuff.
    Meanwhile, why were molded plastics so inelegant back then?

16. cinemajay says:

This stuff is awesome. I think he and Plaid Stallions should slip a few of these into the catalog ads. Just for funsies.

17. lilbacon3 says:

As a lover of vintage water-cooled Volkswagens, this really appeals to me in every sense. Ok, maybe not the woodgrain stickers, but it’s very well done. Good show. It’s fun to think about how the world would be different if something like this actually occurred. If you think about it, if time travel were a reality, we wouldn’t be waiting for it. We’d already be feeling the effects of it because people would obviously travel back in time to change things. And THAT would have already happened. Right? Unless, it’s an extremely strictly controlled ordeal. What if the future doesn’t exist? Whoa. I need some black licorice.

18. querent says:

and it looks to me like that pocket hi-fi is rocking some ABBA. very nice.

19. adwkiwi says:

I think real ads for some things should contain disclaimers about the time travel implied by the device. Something about all that text tickled me :)