My friend Jake
is allergic to his iPhone. When he came to visit from Tokyo last week, I wondered why he was wearing biker gloves and why his iPhone and laptop were fully encased in rubber. When I asked him about it, this is what he said:
It started one weekend in the middle of January. I had been writing on my 17-inch Macbook Pro for about three hours straight when I noticed my palms started to sting. They were bright red, and and a rash had developed from my palms down to parts of my wrist; the webs between my fingers were also swelling up. It didn't itch — it just felt strange, sort of numb, stung a little, and I actually thought I'd gotten a third-degree, low-heat burn from the laptop.
A few days later, I noticed that whenever I held my iPhone, my fingers would sting and get red. I started to get red spots on my wrist. By the end of January, the bottom of my feet were constantly inflamed and red as well. It took me a while to realize that it was actually my metal alloy bath tub* that was causing that. Now I have to wear socks to soak in it.
At first I got diagnosed with shingles. When they saw that it was also on my hands and feet, they thought I had syphilis. Metal allergies are developed. Once your body decides it's allergic, it stays allergic. Some brands of canned coffee in Japan will make my lips puff up as well. If I really have too much metal exposure in a day, my whole body breaks out in a red rash. I can't wear a watch. I carry wooden chopsticks.
It seems like Mac products and whatever alloys are in them is the worst. My "naked" iPhone feels like it is burning my hand when I hold it. As a writer, it's slightly ironic that the tools of my trade — my MacBook Pro and iPhone — are actually poison.
I feel like a low-rent werewolf. You don't need an expensive silver bullet to wound me. An iPhone will do the trick. Or a nickel alloy spoon. I'm like Superman in a kryptonite world, except I don't get any bonus super powers.
*metal bathtubs are quite common in Japan, where Jake lives.
It's likely that Jake has mobile phone dermatitis
or metal contact dermatitis
, allergic reactions supposedly developed after long contact to the nickel in modern gadgets. A report published this month in the Dermatology Online Journal concludes that
"cell phone allergic contact dermatitis is an emerging problem and should be considered in the differential diagnosis for unilateral ear and/or face dermatitis."
The Mirai worm made its way into information security lore in September, when it was identified as the source of the punishing flood of junk traffic launched against Brian Krebs in retaliation for his investigative reporting about a couple of petty Israeli criminals; subsequent analysis showed Mirai to be amateurish and clumsy, and despite this, […]
A Pittsburgh-area man was charged with disorderly conduct after telling Verizon store staff that he was “definitely part of ISIS” and talking about ISIS on the store’s demo handsets. When asked to leave the store, Fleming said “he wouldn’t leave the store and that he was definitely part of ISIS,” the complaint said. He also […]
Last year’s Hello Barbie chatbot toy sent all your kid’s speech to cloud servers operated by Mattel and its tech partner, but only when your kid held down Barbie’s listen button — new chatbot toys like My Friend Cayla and the i-Que Intelligent Robot are in constant listening mode — as is your “OK Google” […]
The Black Friday Mac Bundle 2.0 is one of the Boing Boing Store’s best-selling Mac bundles yet, and it’s about to come to an end. If you don’t get your copy now, here’s what you’ll be missing:This bundle comes packing 9 top-rated Mac apps in one package, at the hugely discounted price of just $23.99. […]
The Boing Boing Store’s Gift Guide is full of ideas for pretty much anyone in your life like hipster ice cub trays, Xbox controllers, Halo Boards, and even diamond necklaces. As always, all products in the Boing Boing Store come at great discounts, too. Shop by price bucket starting at under $20. Under $20:Bloxx Jumbo Ice Trays […]
Unlike traditional lighters, the SaberLight features an electronic plasma beam that’s both rechargeable and butane-free. This sleek lighter is even approved by TSA, so you’ll never be stuck buying lighters you’ll just have to throw away partially used. For some people, like me, this is a pretty big game-changer. The SaberLight’s beam is actually both hotter and cleaner […]