Kozo lamps in Makers Market / Boing Boing Bazaar

13 Responses to “Kozo lamps in Makers Market / Boing Boing Bazaar”

Reminds me of the bookshelf I made–all from that steel hardware store pipe. The hanging glass TV tube is a lamp. http://tinypic.com/r/2a68b29/6

2. SamSam says:

I saw this on BoingBoing last year, and actually got the parts to try and make one myself, since they’re really cool looking. I wasn’t able to do it, though, because it was tricky to find a bulb and socket that would fit ion correctly without shorting out on the pipe, and trying to hook up that switch again without shorting out was next to impossible.

That said, though, I’m sure once I worked out how to fit it all together it would have been easy enough. Maybe I’ll give it another shot, or keep trolling intructibles.

Either way, there’s no way it should be $200…

3. spcfgt says:

$200?

For something that clearly costs less than $20 to make, that’s atrocious.

No thanks!

4. plainsaman says:

Do-it-yourself aspects aside, it’s just butt-ugly.

5. skylight says:

In the US, I believe that these fixtures need to conform to UL 153, the standard for Portable Electric Luminaires. They also need to be Labeled by Underwriters Laboratory or another Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory. Failure to do so could open up a bunch of folks to liability claims should one of these units fail [ short out, cause a fire, electrocute someone! or fall over, even]. I don’t want to be a spoil-sport–nice idea–but Safety First, though. Just sayin’.

Wow, I am going to make one of these thanks for the idea :P

7. PaulR says:

(Yeesh, half a dozen posts and no one has..)

Ahem, in order of increasing difficulty:

If you receive it and it’s baroque, will they pay for the return shipping?

So, I wonder, can you pick someone other than GFH?

Are they really made in southern Yuan, or is that just some sort of tax?

Or maybe, it just so the people making the lamp can enjoy a little duck for lunch.

I’ll stop now.

8. Quibbler says:

If that’s a proper bulb the whole thing is going to get very hot. I hope heat resistant wiring is included and/or a good ground to the metal parts.

There’s probably a good reason why light fixtures are not normally made out of plumbing parts and vice versa.

9. theawesomerobot says:

These look pretty easy (and kind of fun) to make. I’m not trying to discredit the work, but anyone with the time should stop by a hardware store and give it a shot. The only somewhat tricky part here for a complete novice would be the clever little switch.

10. Grey Devil says:

200 bucks per lamp? Really?

Doesn’t it cost a boatload of money to get a lighting product UL certified? Like upwards of $20k if I remember correctly. How can an ostensibly small shop sell something like this?

• Anonymous says:

Actually a small shop can be ul listed easily, for about $1500 per year. It is a registry service, and really nothing more.