Extension cord lamp kit

16 Responses to “Extension cord lamp kit”

1. dw_funk says:

You forgot the first step in making the “instant lamp,” where you pay $80 and wait “2-4 weeks for production and delivery.” Definitely a great product for those DIY enthusiasts and Makers!

Astragail is right. Coiled cords should never be powered up as they can catch fire. Maybe these coils are far enough apart? Not sure I’d leave it unattended.

Does Induction Heating ring a bell to anyone? Fire hazard…

4. jamiethehutt says:

Get an energy saving bulb you planet destroying, er, artists!

• nox says:

Your 160$ does get you a CFL, according to the website.

• Art says:

..and exactly how much electricity have YOU used in your life playing video games?

(not to mention the source of power that YOU use to run your computer- to get online and make moronic criticisms of someone’s work.)

5. Dewi Morgan says:

Having seen what was left from using an extension cable without uncoiling, I wouldn’t buy this.

Mind you, given it’ll be using a light load, there’s only one layer, the coils are separated, and the cable’s high-current, it’s probably safe, until someone plugs a heavy load on an adapter into it.

But it’s just got too much “designed by an artist who’s unaware of the inductive risks” feeling about it.

6. Mitch says:

I like it better as an extension cord.

This, contrary to some of y’all’s comments is just the KEWELEST thing ever. I’m the envy of everyone who sees mine — it’s run with a low Wattage fluorescent bulb continuously, outdoors, winter and now the hottest summer ever without a problem.

Creighton is a terrific designer.

I have no connection to him whatsoever. However I did see this lamp at the Chicago Cultural Center more than a year ago in an exhibit and knew I had to have one.

And I do.

And it’s neat.

If you don’t like fine art at a reasonable price in your home, go shop some place else.

MPS

8. Craighton Berman says:

Rest at ease internet friends—Coil is manufactured to be free from inductance, magnetic fields, spontaneous combustion, and rifts in the time-space continuum.

Instant electromagnet?

How many loops before this thing turns into a Tesla coil? I’ve always wondered about that…

11. Chocodile says:

wonder if it doubles as an inductor

I love lamp

13. Astragali says:

Man, I can’t wait to see the YouTube video of this thing melting and then bursting into flames!

Unravel fully before use though, right?