Four Lions: This is Spinal Tap for suicide bombers

23 Responses to “Four Lions: This is Spinal Tap for suicide bombers”

1. complicity says:

Cory spent the whole weekend talking about it, and yet only watched it on a a Saturday night, midway through the weekend? Anticipation much?

“Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year. It’s just not really widely reported.”

2. happyhappyjoyjoy says:

Cutting edge stuff Cory. Next week, a review of exciting new chariot racing epic, Ben Hur.

“we always try to pick a good one”

Funny. Personally, I always root around for the really shit stuff.

• 13strong says:

You sarcy, sarcy man.

Cory’s blogging about it because, as he more or less made clear, he doesn’t get to the cinema much and he just saw this. It only came out a couple of months ago, and presumably won’t be well known to US readers.

And you’d be surprised how many people routinely go and see films that they expect to be mediocre or all-out dross, just for the sake of going to the cinema.

blimey! is grumpy monday ?!? is great film so there :p

4. bjacques says:

Always a fan of Chris Morris. I hope I don’t have to wait half a year to legitimately see it like I had to for In The Loop.

5. BrokerBryant says:

Great trailer. The movie looks hilarious!!!

Terrific “mid-life kicker” review Cory. You get to the heart of why it’s so important in no time, and introduce it well to a US readership. AKAIK it hasnt got US release. I wonder if the film would need subtitles there? The Pakistani/Yorkshire accents are pretty uncompromising.

7. swishypants says:

I’d just like to add my own two cents by saying that I think calling it “Spinal Tap for Suicide Bombers” is maybe too simplistic and possibly misleading. Yes, the characters can be similarly buffonish and, like Spinal Tap, demonstrate a hilarious lack of self-awareness, but there’s more to this film than just laughing at idiots and the stupid things they say (although I admit I can’t go down the dairy aisle without screaming F*CK MINI BABYBEL now). Personally, I was completely caught off guard with the amount of pathos the film manages to generate for the characters and the way it intelligently and maturely handles this story. I’m sure a lesser director (Michael Bay? McG?) would have gone the easy route and played the whole thing just for laughs – arent the Jihadis bumbling idiots? aren’t their crazy beliefs CRAZY? – but Morris cleverly manages to make the characters likeable and sympathetic and does his best to show the complexity of the situation. The only thing I can compare it to is the third-act switcheroo of Shaun of the Dead where the comedy is suddenly pitch black and your heart breaks for these characters.

Anyway, it’s a terrific film, however you want to look at it.

• Anonymous says:

yeah, the depth it reaches is highlighted by how it depicts Omar’s pacifist brother, the most fundamentalist of the lot (but thankfully they refrained from making him the good guy… lol @ his family in the cupboard), while Omar, the terrorist, isn’t even a particularly observant muslim.

8. Waltb555 says:

It’s not often that I find myself laughing out loud at a movie trailer. Can’t wait to see this.

9. 5ynic says:

@Anon17
    Morris, as a stand-up comedian, is pretty well known amongst other things for being outspokenly anti-fascist and anti-BNP (the racist British National Party). On his blog he has called for everyone to ring up the BNP’s freephone number and leave the phone off the hook.

10. bjacques says:

It’s probably just as well that Penn & Teller don’t go after “Islam.” The best comedy holds a bit of sympathy for its targets. Chris Morris apparently shows it here, while Penn & Teller have never shown any.

Is there any way to see this in the US?

12. Scary_UK says:

‘rubber dinghy rapids’ :)

13. johnlancia says:

Seriously though, what exactly is wrong with the first two posters?
    The guy is just trying to point us towards a movie he liked. Whats with all the hostility and sarcasm?

14. NickPheas says:

The film is great, but the one character I didn’t understand was Omar’s wife. She’s intelligent, alert, rejects religious extremism and yet supports Omar’s mission.

• johnmcorg says:

At the risk of feeding a troll, he doesn’t “target Muslims”. Chris Morris makes fun of everyone.

16. blendergasket says:

Anybody know if this is going to show or has already shown in San Francisco? I really want to see this. I love Chris Morris. I tried to find it a while ago and couldn’t. But I ask again now.

17. Ken Savage says:

Creepy and yet humorous.
    @johnmcorg I agree Chris does make fun of everyone evenly. :)

18. Unexploded says:

“Chris Morris: an English man who targets Muslims? For me this is an hint that he may be a right-wing ass*ole.”

Yes, the best comedians are typically right-wing assholes; just as the Scots are know for their UV tolerance and tanning prowess.

Wrong Chris Morris.

Though it should be known that while Morris’ work takes a harsh view, it comes from a pretty reasoned intent.

The correct Morris: