Shah Jo Raag fakirs on Coke Studios (video: traditional Pakistani music)

18 Responses to “Shah Jo Raag fakirs on Coke Studios (video: traditional Pakistani music)”

1. Festus says:

Downer to read the ignoramuses above. That was excellent! Thank you!

2. InsertFingerHere says:

Consider my mind blown. Excellent site, I’ve never heard this sort of music other than Page & Plant, this is really different. Fantastic different. The people of Pakistan have good taste.

When an old and distinguished person speaks to you, listen to him carefully and with respect — but do not believe him. Never put your trust into anything but your own intellect. Your elder, no matter whether he has gray hair or has lost his hair, no matter whether he is a Nobel laureate — may be wrong. The world progresses, year by year, century by century, as the members of the younger generation find out what was wrong among the things that their elders said. So you must always be skeptical — always think for yourself

4. skeletoncityrepeater says:

This is great.. except the bass player. He’s showboating and too loud, and probably should have been playing fretless to better match a non-Western style. Everyone else is playing in a tasteful, minimal style..

5. CopraCandy says:

As a Pakistani, I am thoroughly embarrassed.

These were some of the more dreadful noises I’ve heard since some time.

• Anonymous says:

You don’t have to own it any more than I own Britany Spears, but personally I think it’s marvelous.

Cool. Don’t forget a modern take. Panjabi MC http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C3umDN3voo&feature=related

Anyone else? CopraCandy?

Also, if we are talking about brothers in folk music I nominate the Stanley Brothers as well.

7. igzabier says:

cool, keepin’ us hip with what is fresh in Pakistan culture. love these posts from what is often a forgotten or marginalized part of our world.

Thank you ! I love this music. Became aware of Nusrat Fatah Ali Khan via Link TV and soon addicted. Funny music for an athiest but then I like Bach too.

Thank you for this! I just spent a few hours on the site, and even bought a few albums (Zeb and Haniya are great!)… This is amazing music, and I love the fact that they are sharing all the videos and MP3s etc.

10. oasisob1 says:

BB remembers to be a directory of wonderful things. Thank you.

11. wayn3w says:

Being a fan of Qawwali, I wonder how this relates to it? They both share a lot in common.

By the way… http://blog.williamaveryhudson.com/?p=179

Excellent stuff!

I know it’s the Coke Studio, but is that the King second from the left?

or the amazing Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan…

I saw him on TV in Islamabad years ago and was hooked.. His version of Dam Mast a Mast is worth a listen for the beautiful fusion. The album was night song I think.