Handmade machined aluminum speedster

27 Responses to “Handmade machined aluminum speedster”

1. nutbastard says:

I just found a good deal on 6061, so let’s just settle on it being about $20 worth of aluminum.

2. MythicalMe says:

By definition, something made in a machine is not handmade. If I shape a piece of wood using only sandpaper, that’s handmade. The moment I fire up my power sander that wood object is now machine-made.

• jere7my says:

So clothing made on a sewing machine can never be “handmade”? Not in my lexicon. You can use the word how you like, of course, but you should be aware that the rest of the English-speaking world may use it differently.

• Peripatet says:

I’d say anything not CNC’ed is handmade.

There’s plenty of manual labor going into using power hand tools to shape aluminum block.

• dculberson says:

Yeah, that’s not actually true. Hand made is as opposed to, say, an automated assembly line.

Dan is a very nice guy and they do awesome work over at Kara’s. I can vouch for them as stand up guys and if you are looking for some unique, quality gifts they make it happen :-) I own a set of their killer salt and pepper shakers and highly recommend them. Honestly will be the last salt and pepper shaker you will ever buy.

4. Ernunnos says:

Oh my God. It’s a toy car, and the wheels actually roll?! Clearly, the Singularity is nearly upon us.

5. hadlock says:

Neat! Assuming proper beveled edges along the bottom side, this is actually a proper toy. Nearly impossible to break, and will last a lifetime. Not much more than what you’d pay for a plastic throwaway fischer price item.

I commute past their shop several times each week and didn’t know something this cool was so readily available. I’ll order one real soon!

7. Jeffrey Meyer says:

Would make great roller skates

8. foxtails says:

It looks like a giant Monopoly token.

9. Bender says:

Okay, if you like to shop in the Walmart discount bin that’s fine, but the rest of us should be allowed to appreciate cool stuff.

10. Thorzdad says:

I suspect items like these are run-off from scrap left over from larger jobs, so it’s not like they are devoting fresh stock to these. So, there’s a cost savings there. And definitely CNC’ed. And, it should be noted, that the KarasKustoms website does not claim these are “handmade”. Merely “machined in our shop”.

That doesn’t mean they aren’t cool. Definitely cool.

11. SpeedTriple says:

This is a perfect gift for anyone with a modern loft/apt. Hell, it’s a great gift for anyone. Thanks for the link, BoingBoing!

12. Dr. Pasolini says:

Why isn’t it made of titanium? Nothing can be cool or desirable if it is not made of titanium, unless it has the word “titanium” in the brand name.

13. General Specific says:

Want. Want bad.

14. wgmleslie says:

Was no one else a Cub Scout? That thing looks like the ultimate Pine Wood Derby homage.

Of course, not many pine trees have this level of aluminum alloy.

15. millionpoems says:

Beautiful.

16. voiceofreason says:

Only the boingboing crowd would think $65 for a little crappy piece of tchotkes is a good deal.

You guys either have too much disposable income, or spend what you have very unwisely.

• Mitch says:

You have obviously never worked in a machine shop. There is a lot of skilled work involved in making this. I was expecting it to be more expensive.

It’s not for everyone but it’s a good thing for someone who appreciates well made toys and machined metal. If you don’t want it then anyone else who buys it must be misspending their money.

I’m sure your home is filled with only practical objects purchased at a discount, because you’re so wise.

• Felix Mitchell says:

This was my raction to the price, but think of it as a shiny piece of $65 artwork and it makes more sense.

17. voiceofreason says:

Uhhhh, I know full well what it takes to machine this toy. Be even cooler to do it with old school machine tools instead of the (likely) CMC.

What I find silly is the gushing wonder, “I gotta get one to roll around next to my iPhone 4.0 and iPad phenomena.”

I still find the cargo worship on much of boingboing to be downright silly. Don’t we all have enough STUFF.

18. voiceofreason says:

Mmmmmm, as aluminum is about $1.00 per pound you’ve got maybe $3 worth there.

• nutbastard says:

Junk aluminum scrap is $1 a pound. Check prices on bar stock 6061. Find a piece that’s close to 6″x3″x2″.