If the average settlement were $3,900, that would mean 100 settlements for the entire year.Ha ha ha ha ha. RIAA paid its lawyers more than $16,000,000 in 2008 to recover only $391,000!!!
As bad as it was, I guess it was better than the numbers for 2007, in which more than $21 million was spent on legal fees, and $3.5 million on "investigative operations" ... presumably MediaSentry. And the amount recovered was $515,929.
And 2006 was similar: they spent more than $19,000,000 in legal fees and more than $3,600,000 in "investigative operations" expenses to recover $455,000.
So all in all, for a 3 year period, they spent around $64,000,000 in legal and investigative expenses to recover around $1,361,000.
- Are RIAA lawsuit damages Constitutional?
- Law prof wants to webcast RIAA lawsuit
- Cracked vs. RIAA damages
- 20000 US BitTorrent users sued; 30000 more lawsuits pending ...
- RIAA's lawsuit against homeless man not going entirely smoothly ...
- EFF to judge: Let's webcast the RIAA's lawsuit
- Flowchart: RIAA Lawsuit Decision Matrix
- RIAA has to pay $107951 for court costs in failed suit against ...
I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.