Wood floors made from wine-barrels

16 Responses to “Wood floors made from wine-barrels”

1. bruddacag says:

It is often really easy to get things like this, which would be considered trash by some, and change the old into new. I know someone who made a marble pizza oven out of discarded WWI grave stone mess-ups.

Very cool. Another similar idea but a little more unique– flooring from Guinness beer vats:

3. Karl Barx says:

No. No, no, no…

Am I the only one who saw this post and was deeply troubled?

The wine, people! Think of the wine!

• dculberson says:

“Think of the wine” in what way? Wine barrels are not typically re-used at higher end wineries. They are re-sold to lower end wineries and then discarded after one or two more uses. Making products out of the barrels doesn’t prevent more wine from being made in any way.

@Forgeweld: $35/sf! Yikes!

4. forgeweld says:

My mistake-only one of the collections is from the head and the others are staves. This looks like a very labor intensive floor to lay.

5. forgeweld says:

And at $35 a sq. foot for the materials, you have to really, really love it, with all of the great options available way below that price range. Ok, I’ll shut up now.

I make end grain wood block floors with reclaimed wood. Maybe some waste is generated that could be made into small blocks. I could sell them for you. Please write. Norm Kaswell

Very nice. We’ve been doing similar with reclaimed wood for a long time… furniture, timber frame, custom millwork:

They have this in the tasting room at Provenance, a winery I once worked at in the Napa Valley. It cost them a ridiculous amount of money.

9. jo3lr0ck5 says:

I want!

10. Lobster says:

I am definitely not the target audience here, but it looks kind of like the floor in an old warehouse to me.

I hope no one tries to varnish or seal these floors. The smell of wine seeping out of them would be a major part of the appeal.

12. kpkpkp says:

@Lobster has it right – not really something I’d want in my house, but definitely a cool floor doe a wine shop.

Two things:
    I assume each stave is slightly curved, and so is the floor going to be like rolling along cobblestones in one direction and ‘groovy’ along the other?

Also, as is the nature of a wooden floor, won;t sanding be difficult on the above concerns, or if it is possible, won’t sanding remove the distinctive ink markings?

• forgeweld says:

The blurb says they use wood from the barrel head, not staves, so, straight, no curve.

• sdmikev says:

On the curve: they can be straightened out fairly easily.
      On the ink: probably one sand would leave a lot, but if you ever had the floors refinished, it would probably take out quite a bit, but not all.

13. dmen185 says:

Nice floors. To keep the used wine barrel theme going, I wanted to share another company that uses old wine barrels to create beautiful wine cellars. It’s something I have never seen before.

The company is called Savante Wine Cellar. Here is a link to their site.