High-flying cluster ballonists

12 Responses to “High-flying cluster ballonists”

No one’s mentioned the most important detail… He brought a meatloaf sandwhich!

2. Rich Keller says:

I’ve always wanted to do this and ever since I saw the headline for this post, I’ve had “Upular” by Faggotron in my head.

Degaussing a dog is much easier – merely wrap a strong magnet in bacon.

Didn’t he also bring a rifle along with him to shoot the balloons when he wanted to come back to earth? Or is this different than the balloon man I remember?

4. ill lich says:

a part-time hypnotist and dance teacher, and . . . an authority on the Adirondack region,

I have wasted my life.

5. kraftonZ says:

Amazing !

Jean Piccard is the son of Auguste Piccard,
    Well Known in France and Belgium and all around the planet as “The Professor Calculus” (or in french “Le professeur Tournesol” in “Tintin” , a comic book !

Is this Genetic ?

Source:

6. i_prefer_yeti says:

’round my house growing up we’d make these, but instead of callin’ em balloons – pop would call em fuchs. I spent many a weekend chasing pop and his cluster of fuchs across the county.

One time the cops came right when pops was inflating all the fuchs & lashing the netting together. It was really a mess.

“Where’s your dad, son?”

“He’s over there, right up to his chin in a huge cluster fuch.”

I am Garrett Cashman’s nephew. I have his plywood seat, wooden bicycle rim used to attach balloon net to seat, and his scrap book. I am seeking suggestions as to where they can be protected and enjoyed by the ballooning community.

8. Baron Karza says:

Maybe I’m wrong, but wouldn’t the real person who came first be the namesake of the later, fictional, person?

Similarly, it bugs me when someone says that a great-grandson of say, Henry Ford, is Henry’s ancestor, when they mean to say descendant. But it might work differently for namesakes, it just seems off to me.

• David Pescovitz says:

Yes, you are wrong.

=========================

Main Entry: name·sake
      Pronunciation: \-ˌsāk\
      Function: noun
      Etymology: probably from name’s sake
      Date: 1646

: one that has the same name as another; especially : one who is named after another or for whom another is named

9. JerryR says:

That issue of Air & Space also contains an article (pg 18) titled, “How to Degauss a Cat” (http://www.airspacemag.com/flight-today/Flights-and-Fancy-How-to-Degauss-a-Cat.html). Just Sayin’.