Birdhouses made from VHS and cassette tapes

8 Responses to “Birdhouses made from VHS and cassette tapes”

1. Lobster says:

This is adorable and all, but I’ve been around birds long enough to know that a bird will peck pieces off of these things and it will eat them. This is not a good idea.

2. Drowse says:

In Texas, I see melted plastic in this bird house’s future.

• hadlock says:

Brings a new meaning to slow-roasted chicken.

These might be functional here in Texas if they were first spray painted white, and the sides slightly higher than the front and back to facilitate convection cooling through that large roof opening.

3. Ognev Vlaminck says:

These birdhouses are part of an urban intervention. It is supposed to give a chance for small birds to survive in the city. Is is also supposed to make people think about the way people consume without thinking of the concequences it has on our environment.

there is a website that explains the concept further:

People have been lining birdhouses and birdcages with dead media for the longest time. Remember those things called newspapers?

5. schmod says:

Sadly, these houses are incompatible with NTSC birds.

6. libraryboi says:

Brilliant and great timing because I’ve wondered recently about what to do with all the VHS tapes I’ve accumulated. But I wonder whether the summer heat would cause the tapes to release fumes that would affect baby birds. I would also have taken out the tape that is visible in the left picture. Open the case, remove, reassemble.

7. frankieboy says:

These will go great with my planters made of truck tires turned inside out, and my patio furniture made of a wire spools. And why remove the tape? The birds can use it for their nests.