Get Lamp now available

21 Responses to “Get Lamp now available”

1. rjl20 says:

Infocom is pretty much the reason I can type today. And that coin will look awesome next to my Zorkmid. I just ordered one with no qualms whatsoever. I’m really looking forward to getting this.

2. Grey Devil says:

Wait. They do take Paypal, i’m an idiot. I went ahead and bought it, i had some extra cash on my Paypal account.

I’ll eagerly await to get it in through the mail. Might blog a review for it and get the work out if it lives up to expectations (:

3. AverageGeek says:

*ordered*

I don’t think I’ve ever played (much) of these games, but MC Frontalot’s “It’s Pitch Dark” is enough reason for me to learn more about this :)

4. Hagrid says:

You are likely to be eaten by a Grue.

Dunno, man….. Sounds SKETCHY!!

:-)

6. lasttide says:

I learned to type playing MUDs (I can still type kic skel unnecessarily fast).

nnwwwwwwwwwwwwwsse

7. jramboz says:

I ordered my copy the minute (almost literally) I heard it was finally available. I’ve been waiting a while for this one to get released, and I’ve heard frmo people who saw some preview footage that it’s excellent.

I’m a huge fan of text adventures, both classic and modern. There’s still a thriving community playing and creating new interactive fiction games. If you’re not playing them, you’re seriously missing out.

8. jccalhoun says:

sounds really interesting but $45 is too rich for my blood.

9. Robert says:

For those complaining about the $45 price: the DVDs are released under CC-BY-SA-NC, which means that as soon as someone rips it, it’s yours. Patience is a virtue.

Of course, we who bought it get this cool coin ;)

10. rawdiant says:

@rjl20 “Infocom is pretty much the reason I can type today.” Oh man, absolutely! How many of us here spent *thousands* of hours exploring those universes?! Not only did they teach me to type, but they expanded my vocabulary, exposed me to quality literature (well, in many cases — esp. w/ respect to the Infocom games), got my young mind interested in writing, got me into programming, and basically filled me up with wondrous imagery for years. In my neighborhood, a bunch of us wrote our own text adventures and traded them (using Atari machines). I still have all of those old floppies in my garage — would love to get the data off them, if possible. So many lost adventures…

11. LightningRose says:

I still have the original packaging (if not the diskettes) for many of the old Infocom games, including “Leather Goddesses of Phobos”.

• Felton says:

I think I may still have some of the items from the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy package, like the demolition orders for Arthur’s house, and for the Earth. I hope I still have the “Don’t Panic” pin somewhere!

12. naltrexone says:

I haven’t seen the “Get Lamp” documentary yet (I doubt anyone has, outside of those that caught the handful of partial screenings at various Cons), but I own this guy’s earlier “BBS” documentary and it’s superb.

$45 is steep, but if “BBS” is any indication, this should have tons of great content. And the coin is brilliant. Looking very much forward to my copy arriving.

13. mccrum says:

Hello sailor!

Can someone explain what the deal is with the coin? Several commented that the $45 price tag isn’t too steep considering you get the coin. What does the coin do, what do you use it for? Thanks.

15. Grey Devil says:

Interesting. I have very early memories of gaming that involved text based adventures, and some hybrid adventure games that had basic static images but you navigated the world via typing (this was before mice were prevalent).

I’m kind of on the fence on buying it, but would love to hear from someone who has seen the documentary.

I love lamp.

17. Dig Duggler says:

I love Lamp.

Sorry, sorry. Someone had to say it.

Grey Devil: I too was on the fence. 45 Dolla is kinda steep for a DVD, but then I saw it has DVD-ROM function with some of the games. That coin is pretty cool as well. So I bought it.

• Grey Devil says:

The coin is pretty much why i’m leaning towards getting it. I feel totally guilty about it but come on, it’s pretty sweet.

I’m also a big gamer, an artist and designer. This documentary would be great to have as a resource but the price is a factor for hesitance. Also… too bad i can’t buy it through Paypal.

I bought BBS: The Documentary and I ordered this one. I’m glad he’s still making documentaries.

19. chris says:

yeahh, i love text adventures but i can’t spend $45 on a dvd. bummer.