24 Responses to “Markets of Britain, a short film by Lee Titt”

1. batchild says:

I had this in my Netflix queue, it had a wait but it was pending… when I checked yesterday it had been moved to the dreadful “saved” section where the yet-to-be-released films languish. Netflix says either it’s a licensing issue or the discs are faulty, or something like that, the friendly operator didn’t know.

2. codeman38 says:

@batchild: I bet I know what happened. Warner Bros. distributes BBC’s discs in North America… and Netflix has a 28-day moratorium on Warner titles.

3. GaryG says:

+1 on “bored the tits off”

made all the worse because my parents actually enjoyed his shows…

4. Lobster says:

This show taught me that germs are from Germany.

5. Bowlie says:

I grew up watching that old bugger, he was always traipsing around The New Forest looking for freebies, so the parody isn’t off at all.

I met him once in my father’s gun shop in New Milton, he stank of tobacco and indeed rarely seemed to take that pipe out of his mouth.

Fishing and shooting companies used to shower him with free product in the hope he’s feature it on his Southern TV show called something like Outward Bound. I have the music in my head right now.

This video totally dishonours Jack Hargreaves. He was very knowledgeable about country traditions, and I’m really unhappy that people are making fun of him. Where is your respect young man?!

7. Blue says:

“Boing Boing Video proudly presents Markets of Britain, discovered by Robert Popper and Peter Serafinowicz from the archives of a great and underappreciated documentary filmmaker named Lee Titt, who also never existed.”

Robert Popper and Peter Serafinowicz are fictional? I knew it!

8. willw says:

tw15′s assessment is spot on. Another +1.

Hargreaves represented a generation of bores for England, with beards and pipes, who are no longer with us.

‘How’ was ok, because he was just the token bore, and other things were going on.

But ‘Out of Town’ was a full bore trifle.

Here’s the source footage:

Thanks to tw15 for recognizing the show.

10. whatisart says:

Jack Hargreaves – legend. He invented Houseparty you know.

11. Gilbert Wham says:

That’s not a machete. It’s a billhook.

12. Hirsty says:

I…I don’t know what to say. Moblalutu?

13. Daedalus says:

I see the world in titt-vision

14. tw15 says:

Lee Tit is actually (I think), Jack Hargreaves, who bored the tits off UK kids in the 1970s with one of the few TV programmes broadcasting on a Sunday morning. I think the programme was called “Out of Town” – all about the old countryside ways.

How sad that an old gentleman, well-versed in the old ways of the country, is described as ‘boring’ simply because he enjoys sharing his arcane knowledge with others. Without shows such as “Out of Town” we would have no idea how to catch larks in order to make lark tongue pie — a vital survival skill, come the robot wars: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7ckJCajWh0&list=QL

it’s the titts!

17. DamienG says:

As a bonus the guy with the beard that appears several times including the close-up eating a grape is Edgar Wright – director of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and Scott Pilgrim vs The World :)

[)amien

18. politeruin says:

“beautiful, exciting, exotic…erotic!”

“we’ve all made mistakes…i know i have”

Most funnysome. It was the “filmed in titt vision” that really killed me. Simple joys eh.

19. pAULbOWEN says:

Jack Hargreaves had a sort of scots equivalent who would go around inveighing against all things modern, anyone remember him?

20. kingofsleep says:

Damn. Like I needed another project. Now I have to build a barking machine…